My volunteering story
I volunteered for RECOOP leading up to and during my final year of uni. I chose to write my dissertation on how free the prisoner could be; I tried to make it as practical as it was philosophical. Having the opportunity to volunteer in HMP Channings Wood meant that I could speak to the men about their experiences and gain a wider understanding than I would have from any texts.
I was really happy to graduate with a First Class degree in 'Criminology and Social Policy' from Brighton University and be awarded the Hamilton-Cramp prize for academic achievement and contribution to the community. I would not have achieved either of these without my involvement with RECOOP - it has been a fundamental part of my university experience. Further, my experience in a prison helped me gain an internship in HMP High Down which I will start in late September. I hope to undertake some work with older prisoners in High Down amongst other projects. I also hope to continue volunteering for RECOOP whenever I can as it has been invaluable to both my academic and personal life.
- We were delighted to be invited to The Langley House Trust’s carol service at The Knole in Cheltenham. Merry Christ… https://t.co/5XLyDRc0vA10:04am, Dec 20, 2018
- We are delighted to have been awarded a further 3-year contract to continue to provide Day Centre provision for the… https://t.co/yuoYzJKnlp9:15am, Dec 18, 2018
- Multi-faith Remembrance Service and tree planting ceremony held at HMP Dartmoor in conjunction with @RECOOP_UK and… https://t.co/Tj3kfPqad69:28am, Nov 27, 2018
- Skills learned by one man at the Lobster Pot (over 50s Day Centre at HMP Leyhill) have proved to be invaluable post… https://t.co/sKWYTbVchB11:17am, Nov 20, 2018
- Social care in prisons in England & Wales-A thematic report/Oct 18 recommends “any prisoner providing social care s… https://t.co/gnEl0BerHJ9:22am, Oct 24, 2018
- Aldo Trust grant helps support prisoners directly via RECOOP https://t.co/bwhiVuGPQQ9:10am, Oct 15, 2018
- RECOOP & @DevonCC nominated for Creative & Innovative Social Work Practice Award in recognition of their invaluable… https://t.co/B39v7N604A9:35am, Oct 01, 2018
- RECOOP wins Innovation Wessex funding to develop' Transition' Resettlement Training course for community delivery https://t.co/lpYxiDZeRz11:21am, Sep 25, 2018
- Rubies at HMP Eastwood Park win numerous @KoestlerTrust awards and selected to exhibit at #ImStillHere Southbank ex… https://t.co/NlyCKiWPPG9:55am, Sep 17, 2018
- Healthy Eating & Living in Prison programme helps address the issues around poor food choices and lack of exercise… https://t.co/qRnkXFAxz812:10pm, Aug 15, 2018