My volunteering story
I volunteered for RECOOP leading up to and during my final year of uni. I chose to write my dissertation on how free the prisoner could be; I tried to make it as practical as it was philosophical. Having the opportunity to volunteer in HMP Channings Wood meant that I could speak to the men about their experiences and gain a wider understanding than I would have from any texts.
I was really happy to graduate with a First Class degree in 'Criminology and Social Policy' from Brighton University and be awarded the Hamilton-Cramp prize for academic achievement and contribution to the community. I would not have achieved either of these without my involvement with RECOOP - it has been a fundamental part of my university experience. Further, my experience in a prison helped me gain an internship in HMP High Down which I will start in late September. I hope to undertake some work with older prisoners in High Down amongst other projects. I also hope to continue volunteering for RECOOP whenever I can as it has been invaluable to both my academic and personal life.
- Transition 50+ Resettlement Programme “really provides a focus for the men, some of whom have spent a very long tim… https://t.co/5r9ZKJ9D0n10:05am, Mar 18, 2019
- Just published: 'A Different Sense of Time' – a portfolio of RECOOP’s age-appropriate services to aid prisons find… https://t.co/zGMs8LY5nu11:25am, Feb 19, 2019
- Over 34,000 individuals benefited from RECOOP's 50+ Day Centres in 2018 https://t.co/FR4jwYZkZx10:29am, Feb 06, 2019
- RECOOP’s Distraction Packs address the need for prisoners to “…. access stimulating in-cell activities to help them… https://t.co/axl9pTpqTS9:20am, Jan 23, 2019
- We were delighted to be invited to The Langley House Trust’s carol service at The Knole in Cheltenham. Merry Christ… https://t.co/5XLyDRc0vA10:04am, Dec 20, 2018
- We are delighted to have been awarded a further 3-year contract to continue to provide Day Centre provision for the… https://t.co/yuoYzJKnlp9:15am, Dec 18, 2018
- Multi-faith Remembrance Service and tree planting ceremony held at HMP Dartmoor in conjunction with @RECOOP_UK and… https://t.co/Tj3kfPqad69:28am, Nov 27, 2018
- Skills learned by one man at the Lobster Pot (over 50s Day Centre at HMP Leyhill) have proved to be invaluable post… https://t.co/sKWYTbVchB11:17am, Nov 20, 2018
- Social care in prisons in England & Wales-A thematic report/Oct 18 recommends “any prisoner providing social care s… https://t.co/gnEl0BerHJ9:22am, Oct 24, 2018
- Aldo Trust grant helps support prisoners directly via RECOOP https://t.co/bwhiVuGPQQ9:10am, Oct 15, 2018