I was present at the first meeting in HMP Exeter when RECOOPs Liz Ropschitz came in with Dick Stokes of Age UK to meet with the prisoners aged over 50 and to encourage them to start an over 50’s group under the RECOOP umbrella.
A group was formed that day and I agreed to do the newsletter.
RECOOP was of enormous help to the older 50’s in HMP Exeter, providing speakers, other activities, a book club, with something occurring at least once a week. I took strength from all this and when I went to HMP Channings Wood I was pleased to see a familiar face in Liz Ropschitz as she is active here and in HMP Dartmoor as well as in Exeter.
Channings Wood has a over 50’s forum and I was welcomed here, given membership to the forum and able to use the facilities, so it was a form of continuation to what I had been doing in Exeter.
I am now secretary to the forum here and editor to the newsletter and am amazed at the variety of speakers and topics the Liz Ropschitz is able to supply for us on a regular basis. We see Liz Ropschitz virtually every Thursday and most Monday evenings when there is dietary advice, exercise, quizzes or discussions.
- We were delighted to be invited to The Langley House Trust’s carol service at The Knole in Cheltenham. Merry Christ… https://t.co/5XLyDRc0vA10:04am, Dec 20, 2018
- We are delighted to have been awarded a further 3-year contract to continue to provide Day Centre provision for the… https://t.co/yuoYzJKnlp9:15am, Dec 18, 2018
- Multi-faith Remembrance Service and tree planting ceremony held at HMP Dartmoor in conjunction with @RECOOP_UK and… https://t.co/Tj3kfPqad69:28am, Nov 27, 2018
- Skills learned by one man at the Lobster Pot (over 50s Day Centre at HMP Leyhill) have proved to be invaluable post… https://t.co/sKWYTbVchB11:17am, Nov 20, 2018
- Social care in prisons in England & Wales-A thematic report/Oct 18 recommends “any prisoner providing social care s… https://t.co/gnEl0BerHJ9:22am, Oct 24, 2018
- Aldo Trust grant helps support prisoners directly via RECOOP https://t.co/bwhiVuGPQQ9:10am, Oct 15, 2018
- RECOOP & @DevonCC nominated for Creative & Innovative Social Work Practice Award in recognition of their invaluable… https://t.co/B39v7N604A9:35am, Oct 01, 2018
- RECOOP wins Innovation Wessex funding to develop' Transition' Resettlement Training course for community delivery https://t.co/lpYxiDZeRz11:21am, Sep 25, 2018
- Rubies at HMP Eastwood Park win numerous @KoestlerTrust awards and selected to exhibit at #ImStillHere Southbank ex… https://t.co/NlyCKiWPPG9:55am, Sep 17, 2018
- Healthy Eating & Living in Prison programme helps address the issues around poor food choices and lack of exercise… https://t.co/qRnkXFAxz812:10pm, Aug 15, 2018