I was present at the first meeting in HMP Exeter when RECOOPs Liz Ropschitz came in with Dick Stokes of Age UK to meet with the prisoners aged over 50 and to encourage them to start an over 50’s group under the RECOOP umbrella.
A group was formed that day and I agreed to do the newsletter.
RECOOP was of enormous help to the older 50’s in HMP Exeter, providing speakers, other activities, a book club, with something occurring at least once a week. I took strength from all this and when I went to HMP Channings Wood I was pleased to see a familiar face in Liz Ropschitz as she is active here and in HMP Dartmoor as well as in Exeter.
Channings Wood has a over 50’s forum and I was welcomed here, given membership to the forum and able to use the facilities, so it was a form of continuation to what I had been doing in Exeter.
I am now secretary to the forum here and editor to the newsletter and am amazed at the variety of speakers and topics the Liz Ropschitz is able to supply for us on a regular basis. We see Liz Ropschitz virtually every Thursday and most Monday evenings when there is dietary advice, exercise, quizzes or discussions.
- RECOOP awarded @esmeefairbairn grant to fund new development work to support even more older service-users across t… https://t.co/VWSeqZTyet8:56am, May 22, 2019
- Thank you @RNIB for visiting the Lobster Pot at HMP Leyhill and delivering a Confidence Building Course which was… https://t.co/nCAlLh6ckv9:37am, Apr 30, 2019
- @Clinks_Tweets Great to have Paul Grainge with us from @RECOOP_UK to speak today. A national charity specialising i… https://t.co/U1VRcLoFgl10:56am, Apr 04, 2019
- We’re pleased to be part of @clinks #flexibilityisvital and hope that momentum continues https://t.co/YqEKSW0p8v11:17am, Apr 01, 2019
- Transition 50+ Resettlement Programme “really provides a focus for the men, some of whom have spent a very long tim… https://t.co/5r9ZKJ9D0n10:05am, Mar 18, 2019
- Just published: 'A Different Sense of Time' – a portfolio of RECOOP’s age-appropriate services to aid prisons find… https://t.co/zGMs8LY5nu11:25am, Feb 19, 2019
- Over 34,000 individuals benefited from RECOOP's 50+ Day Centres in 2018 https://t.co/FR4jwYZkZx10:29am, Feb 06, 2019
- RECOOP’s Distraction Packs address the need for prisoners to “…. access stimulating in-cell activities to help them… https://t.co/axl9pTpqTS9:20am, Jan 23, 2019
- We were delighted to be invited to The Langley House Trust’s carol service at The Knole in Cheltenham. Merry Christ… https://t.co/5XLyDRc0vA10:04am, Dec 20, 2018
- We are delighted to have been awarded a further 3-year contract to continue to provide Day Centre provision for the… https://t.co/yuoYzJKnlp9:15am, Dec 18, 2018