Victim Support Employee and Criminology Graduate, Placement Student with ACOOP October '08 - May '10
During the final year of my Criminology degree at the University of the West of England I was given the opportunity to complete a placement module through the Reducing Reoffending Partnership South West and was linked up with the Age Concern Older Offenders Project (ACOOP), with whom my placement was focused. My main task was to carry out an evaluation into the “Health, Social Care and Resettlement of Older Women Offenders” which required me to begin by conducting some background research into what facilities and support were currently in place for older women offenders in prison and completing an extensive literature review. I then had to conduct a small scale research project with women in HMP Eastwood Park, during which I used a questionnaire that gave participants an opportunity to rate the prisons facilities and support mechanisms and then followed this up with a focus group to get some more qualitative answers and opinions. Finally I analysed the data and presented my conclusions and recommendations in a detailed report for ACOOP.
The ultimate aim of my placement was to provide ACOOP and other agencies, for example the Prison Service (particularly HMP Eastwood Park) and NOMS (National Offender Management service), with some recommendations and conclusions related to the health, social care and resettlement of older women offenders. My report was so positively received by ACOOP that it was sent to a number of criminal justice agencies in the south west and published in the “CLINKS” e-bulletin, for prison and probation service employees. This placement gave me the opportunity to liaise with other agencies for information including research contacts from NOMS South West and NACRO, the crime reduction charity. This opportunity was extremely rewarding as ACOOP took my recommendations onboard and has clearly continued to develop with it now financially supported by BCHA and being renamed slightly as RECOOP. Through my placement I was given a somewhat exclusive opportunity as a student to visit a number of prisons during which I got the chance to talk to the offenders and was able to see what the prison environment was really like. It gave me a chance to make a small difference to the lives of older women offenders at a number of prisons across the South West which has undoubtedly fuelled my desire to continue working with and play a part in changing their behaviour. I believe the work RECOOP do is one of a kind and is vital which is shown in the words of those who have experienced and benefited from its work in and out of prison.
- RECOOP awarded @esmeefairbairn grant to fund new development work to support even more older service-users across t… https://t.co/VWSeqZTyet8:56am, May 22, 2019
- Thank you @RNIB for visiting the Lobster Pot at HMP Leyhill and delivering a Confidence Building Course which was… https://t.co/nCAlLh6ckv9:37am, Apr 30, 2019
- @Clinks_Tweets Great to have Paul Grainge with us from @RECOOP_UK to speak today. A national charity specialising i… https://t.co/U1VRcLoFgl10:56am, Apr 04, 2019
- We’re pleased to be part of @clinks #flexibilityisvital and hope that momentum continues https://t.co/YqEKSW0p8v11:17am, Apr 01, 2019
- Transition 50+ Resettlement Programme “really provides a focus for the men, some of whom have spent a very long tim… https://t.co/5r9ZKJ9D0n10:05am, Mar 18, 2019
- Just published: 'A Different Sense of Time' – a portfolio of RECOOP’s age-appropriate services to aid prisons find… https://t.co/zGMs8LY5nu11:25am, Feb 19, 2019
- Over 34,000 individuals benefited from RECOOP's 50+ Day Centres in 2018 https://t.co/FR4jwYZkZx10:29am, Feb 06, 2019
- RECOOP’s Distraction Packs address the need for prisoners to “…. access stimulating in-cell activities to help them… https://t.co/axl9pTpqTS9:20am, Jan 23, 2019
- We were delighted to be invited to The Langley House Trust’s carol service at The Knole in Cheltenham. Merry Christ… https://t.co/5XLyDRc0vA10:04am, Dec 20, 2018
- We are delighted to have been awarded a further 3-year contract to continue to provide Day Centre provision for the… https://t.co/yuoYzJKnlp9:15am, Dec 18, 2018