Over 34,000 individual visits made to RECOOP’s Day Centres in 2018
Like all charities, we collect numerous statistics throughout the year in order to highlight the importance of the service we offer. RECOOP has run Day Centres for the over 50s in five prisons throughout 2018 and in that period:
- 34,205 individual visits were made;
- by 639 unique users;
- 1,313 prisoner volunteer hours have been worked by 131 prisoners;
- 433 external volunteer hours worked by 166 volunteers.
All groups address the 9 Pathways to reduce re-offending in a variety of ways including group discussions on resettlement, sessions around health & wellbeing, creativity and the importance of volunteering. Outside speakers have included The Prisoners Advice Service, Local Authorities, the Red Cross, Choice Support, the Alzheimer’s Society and local Approved Premises.
As one staff member within one of the Day Centres we run, said:
"I find this intervention absolutely invaluable and a great support to both staff and prisoners".
Our service-users best describe the effect the RECOOP Day Centres have on them:
"The inmates gain valuable mental stimulation which serve to sharpen the memories of many, some of whom are at a stage in their life where memory can escape into the ether. This can only be of assistance in terms of prisoners’ self-worth and general wellbeing and will of course also be a benefit to staff who will be dealing with a happier and more contented group of people”. (HMP Manchester)
“The group has given me the chance to explore and challenge myself in ways I thought I was incapable of. It has given my prison sentence structure and makes me feel I have more choices in my life when I am released.”
In order to offer an alternative to RECOOP delivering Day Centre provision, we have developed a DIY Toolkit which means that prisons can shape and run their own, with a little bit of RECOOP expertise built-in to the first few months to help get it up and running.
If you would like further information, please contact: email@example.com.
- @Clinks_Tweets Great to have Paul Grainge with us from @RECOOP_UK to speak today. A national charity specialising i… https://t.co/U1VRcLoFgl10:56am, Apr 04, 2019
- We’re pleased to be part of @clinks #flexibilityisvital and hope that momentum continues https://t.co/YqEKSW0p8v11:17am, Apr 01, 2019
- Transition 50+ Resettlement Programme “really provides a focus for the men, some of whom have spent a very long tim… https://t.co/5r9ZKJ9D0n10:05am, Mar 18, 2019
- Just published: 'A Different Sense of Time' – a portfolio of RECOOP’s age-appropriate services to aid prisons find… https://t.co/zGMs8LY5nu11:25am, Feb 19, 2019
- Over 34,000 individuals benefited from RECOOP's 50+ Day Centres in 2018 https://t.co/FR4jwYZkZx10:29am, Feb 06, 2019
- RECOOP’s Distraction Packs address the need for prisoners to “…. access stimulating in-cell activities to help them… https://t.co/axl9pTpqTS9:20am, Jan 23, 2019
- We were delighted to be invited to The Langley House Trust’s carol service at The Knole in Cheltenham. Merry Christ… https://t.co/5XLyDRc0vA10:04am, Dec 20, 2018
- We are delighted to have been awarded a further 3-year contract to continue to provide Day Centre provision for the… https://t.co/yuoYzJKnlp9:15am, Dec 18, 2018
- Multi-faith Remembrance Service and tree planting ceremony held at HMP Dartmoor in conjunction with @RECOOP_UK and… https://t.co/Tj3kfPqad69:28am, Nov 27, 2018
- Skills learned by one man at the Lobster Pot (over 50s Day Centre at HMP Leyhill) have proved to be invaluable post… https://t.co/sKWYTbVchB11:17am, Nov 20, 2018