Unannounced inspection of HMP Eastwood Park highlights value of support provided by RECOOP
Her Majesty’s Inspectorate of Prisons is an independent, statutory organisation which reports on the treatment and conditions of those detained in prisons, young offender institutions, secure training centres, immigration detention facilities, police and court custody and military detention.
The unannounced inspection of HMP Eastwood Park, a women’s prison in Gloucestershire, took place in May of this year and its report has recently been published, with the work of RECOOP’s Day Centre for the older population, run by Alma Hageman, highlighted:
“Older prisoners (aged over 50) were appreciative of the support provided by the four-times weekly RECOOP Rubies groups”.
The Day Centre was set up in 2011 by RECOOP and the impact the sessions have on the women becomes evident when reading what they have to say:
“The group has given me the chance to explore and challenge myself in ways that I thought I was incapable of. It has given my prison sentence structure and makes me feel I have more choices in life when I am released.”
“For me, it isn’t even so much what I do or make, but the thought I can do it. It has given me such confidence”.
“It took a little while to come out of my shell and a few weeks later I was ready to partake and get busy with all the exciting Ruby projects. Now I feel confident for my next journey through the gate”.
“This is far more than a craft/coffee session. It is therapy and Samaritan session included and is so important for well-being”.
“Rubies means: holding on to some purpose in life”.
- Care UK / HMP Dartmoor and the RECOOP Buddy Support Workers receive HSJ News Patient Safety End of Life Award 2019 https://t.co/tECpiDZsQO11:49am, Jul 18, 2019
- Robert Buckland QC MP visited the Lobster Pot, at HMP Leyhill & was delighted to learn about RECOOP's excellent wor… https://t.co/lErIrjXsjq9:39am, Jul 05, 2019
- Thank you @alzheimerssoc and Healthcare Dept for the first Dementia Awareness Day at the Lobster Pot giving residen… https://t.co/3aDhsfZNXH11:03am, Jul 02, 2019
- RECOOP awarded @EsmeeFairbairn grant to fund new development work to support even more older service-users across t… https://t.co/VWSeqZTyet8:56am, May 22, 2019
- Thank you @RNIB for visiting the Lobster Pot at HMP Leyhill and delivering a Confidence Building Course which was… https://t.co/nCAlLh6ckv9:37am, Apr 30, 2019
- @Clinks_Tweets Great to have Paul Grainge with us from @RECOOP_UK to speak today. A national charity specialising i… https://t.co/U1VRcLoFgl10:56am, Apr 04, 2019
- We’re pleased to be part of @clinks #flexibilityisvital and hope that momentum continues https://t.co/YqEKSW0p8v11:17am, Apr 01, 2019
- Transition 50+ Resettlement Programme “really provides a focus for the men, some of whom have spent a very long tim… https://t.co/5r9ZKJ9D0n10:05am, Mar 18, 2019
- Just published: 'A Different Sense of Time' – a portfolio of RECOOP’s age-appropriate services to aid prisons find… https://t.co/zGMs8LY5nu11:25am, Feb 19, 2019
- Over 34,000 individuals benefited from RECOOP's 50+ Day Centres in 2018 https://t.co/FR4jwYZkZx10:29am, Feb 06, 2019