Dementia-friendly prisons to be included in expansion programme
With the number of prisoners in England & Wales aged 50+ increasing from 7,548 in 2009 to 13,890 as at the end of September 2019 (an increase of 80%) [MOJ], so too do the issues faced by the prisons on how best to accommodate their particular needs.
A recent article in The Times (11th November) highlighted the MOJ’s recognition of the fact that older prisoners have specific needs which need to be addressed and which have “led to improvements in the design of new prisons at Wellingborough in Northamptonshire and Glen Parva in Leicestershire. Adaptations include equipping the prisons with lifts for wheelchair-bound prisoners and décor which will be finished in contrasting colours to help those with poor sight or memory loss. Communal areas will be acoustically treated with sound-absorbing curtains and soft furnishings to absorb noise which can be disorientating.”
Richard Ford, The Times Home Correspondent, spoke to RECOOP’s Chief Officer, Paul Grainge, about the challenges faced by older prisoners and the work RECOOP is doing in the South West training Buddies – younger prisoners assisting older prisoners – with the daily challenges they face. Paul went on to say that “he hoped the government will consider providing dedicated house-blocks for the elderly with wider doors, grab rails, non-slip surfaces, dementia-friendly colours and lighting”.
The article can be read here.
- RT @HMPDownview: Had a poetry competition for our ladies - theme "Inspirational Women". But 1 lady entered this, with a little note attache…9:41am, May 22, 2020
- @HMP_Dartmoor I hope our Buddy Support workers, clients and staff are all well at this time-Stay safe12:31pm, May 20, 2020
- Find out more about our exciting work, working in line with @BCHAnews and news on our website🌈:… https://t.co/9z5jDIrBT012:25pm, May 20, 2020
- RT @MyGenerationGM: We have some exciting news 🎙 We started just under a year ago. Now, we’re proud to share with you our very own websi…12:11pm, May 20, 2020
- @MyGenerationGM Great work12:11pm, May 20, 2020
- RT @HMP_Liverpool: All of @MoJGovUK and @hmpps should be taking a moment out to support @mikewheatley1 tomorrow as we remember 'Our Ruth' a…11:56am, May 20, 2020
- We’ve received a grant from The Aldo Trust. It will allow us to offer individual grants for individuals to help the… https://t.co/i7bd5fpSLs1:57pm, May 18, 2020
- @DeathCafePUNC @DyingMatters So very sad2:15pm, May 13, 2020
- RT @Bethlem_Gallery: Bethlem Gallery's Mental Health & Justice Project continues. Some of the artists involved have made their early workin…2:13pm, May 13, 2020
- RT @HMPHatfield: We are open ! Please call in to view our range of plants as well as shabby chic and bespoke furniture-all hand worked by t…2:04pm, May 13, 2020