Dementia-friendly prisons to be included in expansion programme
With the number of prisoners in England & Wales aged 50+ increasing from 7,548 in 2009 to 13,890 as at the end of September 2019 (an increase of 80%) [MOJ], so too do the issues faced by the prisons on how best to accommodate their particular needs.
A recent article in The Times (11th November) highlighted the MOJ’s recognition of the fact that older prisoners have specific needs which need to be addressed and which have “led to improvements in the design of new prisons at Wellingborough in Northamptonshire and Glen Parva in Leicestershire. Adaptations include equipping the prisons with lifts for wheelchair-bound prisoners and décor which will be finished in contrasting colours to help those with poor sight or memory loss. Communal areas will be acoustically treated with sound-absorbing curtains and soft furnishings to absorb noise which can be disorientating.”
Richard Ford, The Times Home Correspondent, spoke to RECOOP’s Chief Officer, Paul Grainge, about the challenges faced by older prisoners and the work RECOOP is doing in the South West training Buddies – younger prisoners assisting older prisoners – with the daily challenges they face. Paul went on to say that “he hoped the government will consider providing dedicated house-blocks for the elderly with wider doors, grab rails, non-slip surfaces, dementia-friendly colours and lighting”.
The article can be read here.
- Care UK / HMP Dartmoor and the RECOOP Buddy Support Workers receive HSJ News Patient Safety End of Life Award 2019 https://t.co/tECpiDZsQO11:49am, Jul 18, 2019
- Robert Buckland QC MP visited the Lobster Pot, at HMP Leyhill & was delighted to learn about RECOOP's excellent wor… https://t.co/lErIrjXsjq9:39am, Jul 05, 2019
- Thank you @alzheimerssoc and Healthcare Dept for the first Dementia Awareness Day at the Lobster Pot giving residen… https://t.co/3aDhsfZNXH11:03am, Jul 02, 2019
- RECOOP awarded @EsmeeFairbairn grant to fund new development work to support even more older service-users across t… https://t.co/VWSeqZTyet8:56am, May 22, 2019
- Thank you @RNIB for visiting the Lobster Pot at HMP Leyhill and delivering a Confidence Building Course which was… https://t.co/nCAlLh6ckv9:37am, Apr 30, 2019
- @Clinks_Tweets Great to have Paul Grainge with us from @RECOOP_UK to speak today. A national charity specialising i… https://t.co/U1VRcLoFgl10:56am, Apr 04, 2019
- We’re pleased to be part of @clinks #flexibilityisvital and hope that momentum continues https://t.co/YqEKSW0p8v11:17am, Apr 01, 2019
- Transition 50+ Resettlement Programme “really provides a focus for the men, some of whom have spent a very long tim… https://t.co/5r9ZKJ9D0n10:05am, Mar 18, 2019
- Just published: 'A Different Sense of Time' – a portfolio of RECOOP’s age-appropriate services to aid prisons find… https://t.co/zGMs8LY5nu11:25am, Feb 19, 2019
- Over 34,000 individuals benefited from RECOOP's 50+ Day Centres in 2018 https://t.co/FR4jwYZkZx10:29am, Feb 06, 2019