Buddy comes to the North West
RECOOP is delighted to announce that our Buddy Support Worker Programme is now being delivered in the North West prison group.
The programme, developed in conjunction with Devon County Council, has been successfully delivered in all three Devon prisons since the enactment of the Care Act 2014. The managed service trains prisoners to National Care Standards (adapted for use in prison) to support other prisoners with health and social care needs.
A team from the North West Regional Office and Lancashire County Council visited Dartmoor to see the programme in action and said:
“We felt the visit was well worthwhile and provided a really useful insight into the Buddy system – we were very impressed by the enthusiasm of the Buddies and the feedback from their “clients” was very uplifting.
We believe the model is not only highly efficient but also cost-effective, providing excellent outcomes in a safe and well-managed environment. Implementation of the model will, we believe, be a step forward for North West establishments and will provide excellent value for money and enhance systems currently in place”.
Phase 1 of the project saw the Buddy Programme go live in HMPs Wymott, Preston and Kirkham in early January 2020.
Paul Grainge, RECOOP’s Chief Officer, said; “working with the North West team has been a pleasure and their commitment to the programme is testament to their professionalism and desire to improve outcomes for prisoners with health and social care needs”.
- Care UK / HMP Dartmoor and the RECOOP Buddy Support Workers receive HSJ News Patient Safety End of Life Award 2019 https://t.co/tECpiDZsQO11:49am, Jul 18, 2019
- Robert Buckland QC MP visited the Lobster Pot, at HMP Leyhill & was delighted to learn about RECOOP's excellent wor… https://t.co/lErIrjXsjq9:39am, Jul 05, 2019
- Thank you @alzheimerssoc and Healthcare Dept for the first Dementia Awareness Day at the Lobster Pot giving residen… https://t.co/3aDhsfZNXH11:03am, Jul 02, 2019
- RECOOP awarded @EsmeeFairbairn grant to fund new development work to support even more older service-users across t… https://t.co/VWSeqZTyet8:56am, May 22, 2019
- Thank you @RNIB for visiting the Lobster Pot at HMP Leyhill and delivering a Confidence Building Course which was… https://t.co/nCAlLh6ckv9:37am, Apr 30, 2019
- @Clinks_Tweets Great to have Paul Grainge with us from @RECOOP_UK to speak today. A national charity specialising i… https://t.co/U1VRcLoFgl10:56am, Apr 04, 2019
- We’re pleased to be part of @clinks #flexibilityisvital and hope that momentum continues https://t.co/YqEKSW0p8v11:17am, Apr 01, 2019
- Transition 50+ Resettlement Programme “really provides a focus for the men, some of whom have spent a very long tim… https://t.co/5r9ZKJ9D0n10:05am, Mar 18, 2019
- Just published: 'A Different Sense of Time' – a portfolio of RECOOP’s age-appropriate services to aid prisons find… https://t.co/zGMs8LY5nu11:25am, Feb 19, 2019
- Over 34,000 individuals benefited from RECOOP's 50+ Day Centres in 2018 https://t.co/FR4jwYZkZx10:29am, Feb 06, 2019