Clinks' & RECOOP's response to JSC's enquiry into ageing prison population
Back in July 2019, the Justice Committee launched an inquiry into the ageing prison population which would examine the challenges older prisoners face and the services they need, including the adequacy of accommodation, purposeful activity, provision of health and social care, resettlement and whether a national strategy for the treatment of older prisoners is needed.
Chair of the Justice Committee, Bob Neill MP, said:
“Prisons are often unfit for the needs of older people and the Committee is concerned that more and more older prisoners are living in unsuitable accommodation without access to proper health and social care or the wider prison regime.
The Chief Inspector has said that it is disappointing that there is no clear strategy for older prisoners and the Committee wants to get to the bottom of what is being done to support this cohort of prisoners and what plans are being made for the future as the number of older prisoners increases.
The Justice Committee last looked at this issue six years ago and we are concerned that little progress has been made since then.
Our new inquiry seeks to identify the extent of the problem and to recommend what can be done to improve the situation.”
Clinks and Recoop welcomed the opportunity to jointly respond to this consultation and a copy of our response can be downloaded here.
- February&March saw the launch of the Buddy Project in @hmp_kirkham and HMP Preston! Younger prisoners are trained… https://t.co/r50ecUFqBf11:49am, Mar 30, 2020
- RT @HWymott: These are tough times for all. We’ve set up a mailbox for family members and friends to write to us with questions and comment…11:44am, Mar 27, 2020
- Anyone else have concerns about trying to get the correct information across to elderly relatives or clients about… https://t.co/sNKbAHbvxj11:33am, Mar 26, 2020
- 👍 https://t.co/wHIXdFJGtV11:28am, Mar 26, 2020
- January saw the launch of the Buddy Project in @HWymott where younger prisoners support older and vulnerable priso… https://t.co/NBR8C1xqDN11:17am, Mar 26, 2020
- RT @PFHelpline: @Clinks_Tweets @prisonadvice We’re also available for prisoners’ families from 9am - 8pm Monday to Friday and from 10am - 3…10:19am, Mar 26, 2020
- Keep your mind active and a daily routine in place where possible #Recoop #supportforall https://t.co/sFw2L8h5uV10:18am, Mar 26, 2020
- At Recoop we offer Distraction Packs for the older and main population. They are extremely popular in our cluster p… https://t.co/Ux5BwTYuEi10:15am, Mar 26, 2020
- RT @PORSCH_Network: BBC News - Coranavirus: Emergency plan for prisons in England and Wales https://t.co/dkctHsgaNg11:26am, Mar 25, 2020
- @HWymott I hope some of these are our Buddies! :) Well done Wymott9:51am, Mar 25, 2020