HMPPS highlights RECOOP's work as Good Practice
RECOOP’s work with older prisoners has been highlighted as good practice in a recent HMPPS Diversity & Inclusion Team presentation “Assessing and Meeting the Needs of Older Residents”. The D&I team sent out an optional questionnaire to all establishments holding older residents, dealing with all aspects of life in custody. 28 establishments responded.
Areas covered included the challenges faced by both staff and residents and how they were being addressed, together with examples of Good Practice in all areas, from Social Care to Meaningful Activity.
It was in this area that RECOOP’s Day Centres for the over 50s (HMP Leyhill’s Lobster Pot and HMP Eastwood Park’s Rubies) were acknowledged.
The benefits of a Day Centre cannot be under-estimated. Occupying time of the older prisoner population is often a problem. Too old to be in employment and too frail to take part in other organised activities within the prison, many are left or choose to stay in their cells for too much of their time.
Focusing heavily on social interaction, activities within the Day Centres are designed to create an environment where prisoners feel relaxed enough to make positive changes to the way they interact with other people. This allows them to overcome the barriers created by closed environments and, in turn, promotes social-inclusion and wellbeing.
RECOOP’s Distraction Packs were also mentioned as Good Practice.
For further information please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
- Alert! ❗️❗️❗️❗️Ever wondered what the Buddy Support Programme does in prisons? From Devon to the Northwest. Check i… https://t.co/9nf0buu2Vr1:49pm, Jul 03, 2020
- @HMPChelmsford @borderlinebooks Great to see11:14am, Jul 03, 2020
- RT @stafford_hmp: Great to be able to share with you that we will be working with @PurpleVisits to allow virtual visits. A start date is to…11:04am, Jul 03, 2020
- RT @HmppsInsights: Book now for the Manchester Crime & Justice Film Festival 14th July. Hosted by @ManMetUni and @MMUPolicyEval, the virtua…2:49pm, Jul 02, 2020
- @HmppsInsights @ManMetUni @MMUPolicyEval @KoestlerArts This looks great!2:49pm, Jul 02, 2020
- @FirstTimeInside @FacultyScot @HumzaYousaf @AlexJODonnell @AamerAnwar @fionacs @Thinktastic @BMcconnachieQC… https://t.co/sEB5UnA8In2:37pm, Jul 02, 2020
- RT @forder_phil: There's a danger my account becomes HMP Parc Art gallery but why not? Here are some sketches a prisoner did on the wing +…9:53am, Jul 01, 2020
- @forder_phil @G4S @fmspear @RTA_ARTS @KoestlerArts @PrisonArts @ArtsCJS @Elitedance @OddArtsUK @manwithbooks These are wonderful9:53am, Jul 01, 2020
- @HMPPrisonWife Sorry to hear that :(9:51am, Jul 01, 2020
- RT @DyingMatters: Independent Age is calling for more support for bereaved people. The charity's research has found that up to 77,000 peop…12:12pm, Jun 30, 2020