HMPPS highlights RECOOP's work as Good Practice
RECOOP’s work with older prisoners has been highlighted as good practice in a recent HMPPS Diversity & Inclusion Team presentation “Assessing and Meeting the Needs of Older Residents”. The D&I team sent out an optional questionnaire to all establishments holding older residents, dealing with all aspects of life in custody. 28 establishments responded.
Areas covered included the challenges faced by both staff and residents and how they were being addressed, together with examples of Good Practice in all areas, from Social Care to Meaningful Activity.
It was in this area that RECOOP’s Day Centres for the over 50s (HMP Leyhill’s Lobster Pot and HMP Eastwood Park’s Rubies) were acknowledged.
The benefits of a Day Centre cannot be under-estimated. Occupying time of the older prisoner population is often a problem. Too old to be in employment and too frail to take part in other organised activities within the prison, many are left or choose to stay in their cells for too much of their time.
Focusing heavily on social interaction, activities within the Day Centres are designed to create an environment where prisoners feel relaxed enough to make positive changes to the way they interact with other people. This allows them to overcome the barriers created by closed environments and, in turn, promotes social-inclusion and wellbeing.
RECOOP’s Distraction Packs were also mentioned as Good Practice.
For further information please contact email@example.com
- February&March saw the launch of the Buddy Project in @hmp_kirkham and HMP Preston! Younger prisoners are trained… https://t.co/r50ecUFqBf11:49am, Mar 30, 2020
- RT @HWymott: These are tough times for all. We’ve set up a mailbox for family members and friends to write to us with questions and comment…11:44am, Mar 27, 2020
- Anyone else have concerns about trying to get the correct information across to elderly relatives or clients about… https://t.co/sNKbAHbvxj11:33am, Mar 26, 2020
- 👍 https://t.co/wHIXdFJGtV11:28am, Mar 26, 2020
- January saw the launch of the Buddy Project in @HWymott where younger prisoners support older and vulnerable priso… https://t.co/NBR8C1xqDN11:17am, Mar 26, 2020
- RT @PFHelpline: @Clinks_Tweets @prisonadvice We’re also available for prisoners’ families from 9am - 8pm Monday to Friday and from 10am - 3…10:19am, Mar 26, 2020
- Keep your mind active and a daily routine in place where possible #Recoop #supportforall https://t.co/sFw2L8h5uV10:18am, Mar 26, 2020
- At Recoop we offer Distraction Packs for the older and main population. They are extremely popular in our cluster p… https://t.co/Ux5BwTYuEi10:15am, Mar 26, 2020
- RT @PORSCH_Network: BBC News - Coranavirus: Emergency plan for prisons in England and Wales https://t.co/dkctHsgaNg11:26am, Mar 25, 2020
- @HWymott I hope some of these are our Buddies! :) Well done Wymott9:51am, Mar 25, 2020