National Independent Monitoring Board Conference
00 00:00:00-00-0000 - Teri WalkerDue to the success of our partnership with HMP Leyhill and services offered to the older prisoners, I was offered an opportunity to speak at the National Conference for Board Members. This was an opportunity to disseminate good practise and also an opportunity to listen and learn how we can further promote and assist other interested parties in the older prisoner agenda.
The workshop was hugely popular and delivered to over 100 members throughout the day. The conference itself could not accommodate all IMB members (1800) so the ripple effect will no doubt take place as members relay information to other workers in their individual prisons. I was impressed by IMB member’s knowledge and commitment to ensuring a fair agenda for all. A number of workshop participants had sought information beforehand of exactly what was being done for older prisoners and I have no doubt all will go back with far reaching questions that will hopefully influence older prisoner care and progression.
Although I work in an open prison, there are some general principles transferable to all custodial environments such as; purposeful activity, advice and information, suitable opportunities for exercise, using older prisoners as a resource and ensuring there is a lead responsible for older prisoners.
The conference was a great opportunity for discussion and debate and ultimately useful to a number of people who may help influence older prisoner services throughout the prison estate.
Tuesday, January 14th 2020
RECOOP is delighted to announce that our Buddy Support Worker Programme is now being delivered in the North West prison group. The programme, developed in conjunction with Devon County Council, has been successfully delivered in all three Devon prisons ...
Latest Tweets follow us!
- Care UK / HMP Dartmoor and the RECOOP Buddy Support Workers receive HSJ News Patient Safety End of Life Award 2019 https://t.co/tECpiDZsQO11:49am, Jul 18, 2019
- Robert Buckland QC MP visited the Lobster Pot, at HMP Leyhill & was delighted to learn about RECOOP's excellent wor… https://t.co/lErIrjXsjq9:39am, Jul 05, 2019
- Thank you @alzheimerssoc and Healthcare Dept for the first Dementia Awareness Day at the Lobster Pot giving residen… https://t.co/3aDhsfZNXH11:03am, Jul 02, 2019
- RECOOP awarded @EsmeeFairbairn grant to fund new development work to support even more older service-users across t… https://t.co/VWSeqZTyet8:56am, May 22, 2019
- Thank you @RNIB for visiting the Lobster Pot at HMP Leyhill and delivering a Confidence Building Course which was… https://t.co/nCAlLh6ckv9:37am, Apr 30, 2019
- @Clinks_Tweets Great to have Paul Grainge with us from @RECOOP_UK to speak today. A national charity specialising i… https://t.co/U1VRcLoFgl10:56am, Apr 04, 2019
- We’re pleased to be part of @clinks #flexibilityisvital and hope that momentum continues https://t.co/YqEKSW0p8v11:17am, Apr 01, 2019
- Transition 50+ Resettlement Programme “really provides a focus for the men, some of whom have spent a very long tim… https://t.co/5r9ZKJ9D0n10:05am, Mar 18, 2019
- Just published: 'A Different Sense of Time' – a portfolio of RECOOP’s age-appropriate services to aid prisons find… https://t.co/zGMs8LY5nu11:25am, Feb 19, 2019
- Over 34,000 individuals benefited from RECOOP's 50+ Day Centres in 2018 https://t.co/FR4jwYZkZx10:29am, Feb 06, 2019