"We Are All Human"
‘We Are All Human’ was the title of the 2016 annual showcase of arts in partnership between The Koestler Trust and the Southbank Centre. All exhibits were produced by prisoners, prison leavers, secure psychiatric patients, young people from secure children’s homes and immigration detainees.
The exhibition provided a unique and thought-provoking insight into the lives and minds of those prisoners, secure patients and detainees across the UK, who, for a variety of reasons, have had their freedom severely compromised.
Out of the 6,733 pieces submitted, a violin and bow, submitted by Dave, HMP Exeter RECOOP Buddy Support Worker, was chosen for this public exhibition at the Southbank Centre, London.
Liz Ropschitz, RECOOP Buddy and Training Manager, along with Sandra Seldon, RECOOP Coordinator Dorset and Wiltshire, were pleased to accept an invitation to view the exhibition.
Dave had made the model musical instrument from burnt matches, something, we were told by the Koestler staff, the judges had never seen before. They were familiar with match stick modelling, which is a very popular in-cell activity, but the judges particularly admired the effect the burnt matches had on the colour and texture of this piece of art work.
Liz asked Dave what it had meant to him to have his creative talent displayed for public viewing in London: “I made the violin in here just to pass time away and prove to myself that I could create something. Now that I’ve got an Award I’m encouraged to continue to produce models on the out. Koestler has sent me a list of craft fairs where I can sell things I make in the future".
Both Liz and Sandra have encouraged prisoners to submit their work to the Koestler Awards in the past. The talent and quality of work was astounding! They shall definitely be encouraging others to creatively express themselves with the view to entering them for a Koestler Award in 2017.
- We were delighted to be invited to The Langley House Trust’s carol service at The Knole in Cheltenham. Merry Christ… https://t.co/5XLyDRc0vA10:04am, Dec 20, 2018
- We are delighted to have been awarded a further 3-year contract to continue to provide Day Centre provision for the… https://t.co/yuoYzJKnlp9:15am, Dec 18, 2018
- Multi-faith Remembrance Service and tree planting ceremony held at HMP Dartmoor in conjunction with @RECOOP_UK and… https://t.co/Tj3kfPqad69:28am, Nov 27, 2018
- Skills learned by one man at the Lobster Pot (over 50s Day Centre at HMP Leyhill) have proved to be invaluable post… https://t.co/sKWYTbVchB11:17am, Nov 20, 2018
- Social care in prisons in England & Wales-A thematic report/Oct 18 recommends “any prisoner providing social care s… https://t.co/gnEl0BerHJ9:22am, Oct 24, 2018
- Aldo Trust grant helps support prisoners directly via RECOOP https://t.co/bwhiVuGPQQ9:10am, Oct 15, 2018
- RECOOP & @DevonCC nominated for Creative & Innovative Social Work Practice Award in recognition of their invaluable… https://t.co/B39v7N604A9:35am, Oct 01, 2018
- RECOOP wins Innovation Wessex funding to develop' Transition' Resettlement Training course for community delivery https://t.co/lpYxiDZeRz11:21am, Sep 25, 2018
- Rubies at HMP Eastwood Park win numerous @KoestlerTrust awards and selected to exhibit at #ImStillHere Southbank ex… https://t.co/NlyCKiWPPG9:55am, Sep 17, 2018
- Healthy Eating & Living in Prison programme helps address the issues around poor food choices and lack of exercise… https://t.co/qRnkXFAxz812:10pm, Aug 15, 2018