‘Achieving Better Outcomes’
RECOOP has used its learning from the recently completed NOMS-funded research project (“To assess the need and ability of prisons and Approved Premises to adapt their regimes to meet the needs of older offenders”) in order to further develop our staff training and awareness raising sessions.
We have developed ‘Achieving Better Outcomes’ training to enable the sessions to meet the needs of those who work with older people within the criminal justice system, whether it be in prisons, NPS/CRC staff or 3rd Sector organisations. The focus of the 3-hour training sessions is to increase staff confidence to provide the right support for older people.
The first prison to take up the new training was HMP Ford, where the session was delivered in November to a group of 15 staff and one prisoner. It was great to have a prisoner there as well and we would encourage all prisons who access this training to consider whether it would be useful to provide a place for those involved with supporting older people.
Evaluation and feedback was overwhelmingly positive, with all 16 participants reporting that knowledge gained would assist them within their roles:
“Should be mandatory training, not just for those who express an interest.”
“Very informative, picked up good tips.”
“Trainer very informative which made it a good lesson.”
“Learnt new things about ailments and how to notice and manage these.”
“Gained an understanding into older people's memory workings.”
We have received many enquiries regarding our ‘Achieving Better Outcomes’ training and, as the number of older people continues to rise within the criminal justice system, we would encourage prisons, NPS, CRC’s and 3rd Sector organisations to consider booking sessions, particularly in the absence of mandatory training.
Jane Wilkes - Regional Partnership Manager
- We were delighted to be invited to The Langley House Trust’s carol service at The Knole in Cheltenham. Merry Christ… https://t.co/5XLyDRc0vA10:04am, Dec 20, 2018
- We are delighted to have been awarded a further 3-year contract to continue to provide Day Centre provision for the… https://t.co/yuoYzJKnlp9:15am, Dec 18, 2018
- Multi-faith Remembrance Service and tree planting ceremony held at HMP Dartmoor in conjunction with @RECOOP_UK and… https://t.co/Tj3kfPqad69:28am, Nov 27, 2018
- Skills learned by one man at the Lobster Pot (over 50s Day Centre at HMP Leyhill) have proved to be invaluable post… https://t.co/sKWYTbVchB11:17am, Nov 20, 2018
- Social care in prisons in England & Wales-A thematic report/Oct 18 recommends “any prisoner providing social care s… https://t.co/gnEl0BerHJ9:22am, Oct 24, 2018
- Aldo Trust grant helps support prisoners directly via RECOOP https://t.co/bwhiVuGPQQ9:10am, Oct 15, 2018
- RECOOP & @DevonCC nominated for Creative & Innovative Social Work Practice Award in recognition of their invaluable… https://t.co/B39v7N604A9:35am, Oct 01, 2018
- RECOOP wins Innovation Wessex funding to develop' Transition' Resettlement Training course for community delivery https://t.co/lpYxiDZeRz11:21am, Sep 25, 2018
- Rubies at HMP Eastwood Park win numerous @KoestlerTrust awards and selected to exhibit at #ImStillHere Southbank ex… https://t.co/NlyCKiWPPG9:55am, Sep 17, 2018
- Healthy Eating & Living in Prison programme helps address the issues around poor food choices and lack of exercise… https://t.co/qRnkXFAxz812:10pm, Aug 15, 2018