The Lobster Pot – “an excellent resource”
The HMIP report on their unannounced inspection of HMP Leyhill in September 2016, has recently been published. RECOOP has run a Day Centre there (The Lobster Pot) for the past nine years and the increase in footfall not only reflects the increase in the number of older prisoners at Leyhill, but also its success in providing a centre for the over-50s, encouraging purposeful activity and social interaction, with all activities geared towards the nine pathways of reducing reoffending. This ensures older prisoners develop skills and strategies to live purposeful and active lives both in prison and on release.
The HMIP Report stated:
“Older prisoners were positive about their care and there was good support for them, enhanced by some excellent activities and assistance provided by the Lobster Pot, a drop-in centre for the over-50s.
The Lobster Pot was an excellent resource, providing a creative range of activities, support and assessment of need.
The Lobster Pot ran regular, well-advertised health care events linked to national initiatives, including dementia and prostate cancer awareness.
Staff working in the Lobster Pot also provided some support to individuals who needed help to sort out their finances and debts.
The prison held a substantial number of older prisoners and those with disabilities. Older prisoners were positive about their care, and there was good support for them, enhanced by some excellent activities and assistance provided by the Lobster Pot.
The Lobster Pot ran regular, well-advertised health care events linked to national initiatives, including dementia and prostate cancer awareness”.
If you would like further information on the Day Centres we run, or would like to discuss RECOOP setting-up one in your prison, please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Robert Buckland QC MP visited the Lobster Pot, at HMP Leyhill & was delighted to learn about RECOOP's excellent wor… https://t.co/lErIrjXsjq9:39am, Jul 05, 2019
- Thank you @alzheimerssoc and Healthcare Dept for the first Dementia Awareness Day at the Lobster Pot giving residen… https://t.co/3aDhsfZNXH11:03am, Jul 02, 2019
- RECOOP awarded @EsmeeFairbairn grant to fund new development work to support even more older service-users across t… https://t.co/VWSeqZTyet8:56am, May 22, 2019
- Thank you @RNIB for visiting the Lobster Pot at HMP Leyhill and delivering a Confidence Building Course which was… https://t.co/nCAlLh6ckv9:37am, Apr 30, 2019
- @Clinks_Tweets Great to have Paul Grainge with us from @RECOOP_UK to speak today. A national charity specialising i… https://t.co/U1VRcLoFgl10:56am, Apr 04, 2019
- We’re pleased to be part of @clinks #flexibilityisvital and hope that momentum continues https://t.co/YqEKSW0p8v11:17am, Apr 01, 2019
- Transition 50+ Resettlement Programme “really provides a focus for the men, some of whom have spent a very long tim… https://t.co/5r9ZKJ9D0n10:05am, Mar 18, 2019
- Just published: 'A Different Sense of Time' – a portfolio of RECOOP’s age-appropriate services to aid prisons find… https://t.co/zGMs8LY5nu11:25am, Feb 19, 2019
- Over 34,000 individuals benefited from RECOOP's 50+ Day Centres in 2018 https://t.co/FR4jwYZkZx10:29am, Feb 06, 2019
- RECOOP’s Distraction Packs address the need for prisoners to “…. access stimulating in-cell activities to help them… https://t.co/axl9pTpqTS9:20am, Jan 23, 2019