The important role of Guest Speakers
Guest speakers form an important part of the activities organised by RECOOP in the various prisons in which we work.
Bristol Mind recently visited the Lobster Pot at HMP Leyhill when the men were given the opportunity to discuss their views on the stigma attached to mental health. So successful was the visit, that Mind requested to return to speak more about the services it can offer, both locally and nationally. It also suggested visiting on a quarterly basis so that new arrivals can be made aware of the support, both within prison and upon release
Also at the Lobster Pot, visits continue to be arranged by local Approved Premises. The opportunity for the men to learn more about Hostels manages so many anxieties and clarifies the many rumours that are spread.
The men at Guys Marsh were recently visited by Choice Support, a national social care charity providing support to people with learning/physical disabilities, as well as mental health issues. It also provides employent in Social Care for men and women on release from prison and was able to hand out applicaiton forms to suitable candidates and carry out interiews with those who were nearing release.
Other guest speakers include representatives from the Prisoners' Advice Service who, in addition to facilitating general group discussions, are also able to offer 1-2-1 sessions; Alzheimer's Society, Prostate Cancer and the RNIB who offered to deliver a two-day course to a number of prisoners dealing with sight loss issues.
RECOOP is indebted to them for sharing their knowledge and expertise.
If you work for an organisation that could offer support as a guest speaker to the work we do, or if you would like to access our groups, then please contact us: email@example.com
- We were delighted to be invited to The Langley House Trust’s carol service at The Knole in Cheltenham. Merry Christ… https://t.co/5XLyDRc0vA10:04am, Dec 20, 2018
- We are delighted to have been awarded a further 3-year contract to continue to provide Day Centre provision for the… https://t.co/yuoYzJKnlp9:15am, Dec 18, 2018
- Multi-faith Remembrance Service and tree planting ceremony held at HMP Dartmoor in conjunction with @RECOOP_UK and… https://t.co/Tj3kfPqad69:28am, Nov 27, 2018
- Skills learned by one man at the Lobster Pot (over 50s Day Centre at HMP Leyhill) have proved to be invaluable post… https://t.co/sKWYTbVchB11:17am, Nov 20, 2018
- Social care in prisons in England & Wales-A thematic report/Oct 18 recommends “any prisoner providing social care s… https://t.co/gnEl0BerHJ9:22am, Oct 24, 2018
- Aldo Trust grant helps support prisoners directly via RECOOP https://t.co/bwhiVuGPQQ9:10am, Oct 15, 2018
- RECOOP & @DevonCC nominated for Creative & Innovative Social Work Practice Award in recognition of their invaluable… https://t.co/B39v7N604A9:35am, Oct 01, 2018
- RECOOP wins Innovation Wessex funding to develop' Transition' Resettlement Training course for community delivery https://t.co/lpYxiDZeRz11:21am, Sep 25, 2018
- Rubies at HMP Eastwood Park win numerous @KoestlerTrust awards and selected to exhibit at #ImStillHere Southbank ex… https://t.co/NlyCKiWPPG9:55am, Sep 17, 2018
- Healthy Eating & Living in Prison programme helps address the issues around poor food choices and lack of exercise… https://t.co/qRnkXFAxz812:10pm, Aug 15, 2018