Report on an unannounced inspection of HMP Eastwood Park by HM Chief Inspector of Prisons
The HMIP Report, published on the 9th March 2017, highlights the work RECOOP is doing with the over 50s in HMP Eastwood Park:
“In our survey, women aged over 50 were more positive about life at the prison than younger women. RECOOP, a charity working for the care and resettlement of offenders, ran a popular group for older women four times a week.”
“The provision for older women at EWP is very good.”
The Rubies, a name the ladies originally chose for the group, is run by RECOOP Project Worker, Alma Hageman, who has been working with the group since its inception in 2009. A range of creative sessions and purposeful activities are offered, along with relevant advice, information and advocacy. It is our belief that new skills learnt in the group, plus discussion and one to one trauma work, will bring about changes in attitude and behaviour as well as enhancement of personal wellbeing, confidence and self-esteem. We believe that increasing self-awareness impacts on the reduction of self-harm, loneliness, isolation and re-offending behaviour following release from prison.
Quotes from Rubies:
“The group has given me the chance to explore and challenge myself in ways I thought I was incapable of. It has given my prison sentence structure and makes me feel I have more choices in my life when I am released”.
“For me it isn’t even so much what I do or make, but the thought I CAN do it; it has given me so much confidence”.
“Long may the Rubies continue with their umbrella of caring love for us, hurting women. It makes us feel valued and whole again!”
- RT @HMPDownview: Had a poetry competition for our ladies - theme "Inspirational Women". But 1 lady entered this, with a little note attache…9:41am, May 22, 2020
- @HMP_Dartmoor I hope our Buddy Support workers, clients and staff are all well at this time-Stay safe12:31pm, May 20, 2020
- Find out more about our exciting work, working in line with @BCHAnews and news on our website🌈:… https://t.co/9z5jDIrBT012:25pm, May 20, 2020
- RT @MyGenerationGM: We have some exciting news 🎙 We started just under a year ago. Now, we’re proud to share with you our very own websi…12:11pm, May 20, 2020
- @MyGenerationGM Great work12:11pm, May 20, 2020
- RT @HMP_Liverpool: All of @MoJGovUK and @hmpps should be taking a moment out to support @mikewheatley1 tomorrow as we remember 'Our Ruth' a…11:56am, May 20, 2020
- We’ve received a grant from The Aldo Trust. It will allow us to offer individual grants for individuals to help the… https://t.co/i7bd5fpSLs1:57pm, May 18, 2020
- @DeathCafePUNC @DyingMatters So very sad2:15pm, May 13, 2020
- RT @Bethlem_Gallery: Bethlem Gallery's Mental Health & Justice Project continues. Some of the artists involved have made their early workin…2:13pm, May 13, 2020
- RT @HMPHatfield: We are open ! Please call in to view our range of plants as well as shabby chic and bespoke furniture-all hand worked by t…2:04pm, May 13, 2020