Report on an unannounced inspection of HMP Eastwood Park by HM Chief Inspector of Prisons
The HMIP Report, published on the 9th March 2017, highlights the work RECOOP is doing with the over 50s in HMP Eastwood Park:
“In our survey, women aged over 50 were more positive about life at the prison than younger women. RECOOP, a charity working for the care and resettlement of offenders, ran a popular group for older women four times a week.”
“The provision for older women at EWP is very good.”
The Rubies, a name the ladies originally chose for the group, is run by RECOOP Project Worker, Alma Hageman, who has been working with the group since its inception in 2009. A range of creative sessions and purposeful activities are offered, along with relevant advice, information and advocacy. It is our belief that new skills learnt in the group, plus discussion and one to one trauma work, will bring about changes in attitude and behaviour as well as enhancement of personal wellbeing, confidence and self-esteem. We believe that increasing self-awareness impacts on the reduction of self-harm, loneliness, isolation and re-offending behaviour following release from prison.
Quotes from Rubies:
“The group has given me the chance to explore and challenge myself in ways I thought I was incapable of. It has given my prison sentence structure and makes me feel I have more choices in my life when I am released”.
“For me it isn’t even so much what I do or make, but the thought I CAN do it; it has given me so much confidence”.
“Long may the Rubies continue with their umbrella of caring love for us, hurting women. It makes us feel valued and whole again!”
- We were delighted to be invited to The Langley House Trust’s carol service at The Knole in Cheltenham. Merry Christ… https://t.co/5XLyDRc0vA10:04am, Dec 20, 2018
- We are delighted to have been awarded a further 3-year contract to continue to provide Day Centre provision for the… https://t.co/yuoYzJKnlp9:15am, Dec 18, 2018
- Multi-faith Remembrance Service and tree planting ceremony held at HMP Dartmoor in conjunction with @RECOOP_UK and… https://t.co/Tj3kfPqad69:28am, Nov 27, 2018
- Skills learned by one man at the Lobster Pot (over 50s Day Centre at HMP Leyhill) have proved to be invaluable post… https://t.co/sKWYTbVchB11:17am, Nov 20, 2018
- Social care in prisons in England & Wales-A thematic report/Oct 18 recommends “any prisoner providing social care s… https://t.co/gnEl0BerHJ9:22am, Oct 24, 2018
- Aldo Trust grant helps support prisoners directly via RECOOP https://t.co/bwhiVuGPQQ9:10am, Oct 15, 2018
- RECOOP & @DevonCC nominated for Creative & Innovative Social Work Practice Award in recognition of their invaluable… https://t.co/B39v7N604A9:35am, Oct 01, 2018
- RECOOP wins Innovation Wessex funding to develop' Transition' Resettlement Training course for community delivery https://t.co/lpYxiDZeRz11:21am, Sep 25, 2018
- Rubies at HMP Eastwood Park win numerous @KoestlerTrust awards and selected to exhibit at #ImStillHere Southbank ex… https://t.co/NlyCKiWPPG9:55am, Sep 17, 2018
- Healthy Eating & Living in Prison programme helps address the issues around poor food choices and lack of exercise… https://t.co/qRnkXFAxz812:10pm, Aug 15, 2018