Armed Forces Day
Armed Forces Day is traditionally marked on 24th June by events including parades, military displays and community fetes, taking place across the country. Sailors, Soldiers, Airmen and women, both Regulars and Reservists, Cadets and veterans past and present are being recognised.
Approximately 4% of the population in prison are veterans and convictions primarily involved violence, within a short period following discharge. The majority of cases were drug or alcohol-related.
A considerable number of ex-soldiers, who have served in conflicts, may be suffering the hidden wounds of combat related mental traumas. They may physically return from conflict, but their head may remain in the war zone, resulting in a combat related condition, such as post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD). PTSD is often undiagnosed and can be a trigger for the acts that lead some former armed forces personnel into prison.
SSAFA Prison in Reach offers assistance to ex-servicemen and women serving a custodial sentence and due for release. The service they offer is to assist with clothing, household items and if possible rent and deposit. In some circumstances they can assist with educational/training courses. SSAFA can also offer assistance to families if considered appropriate to do so.
With RECOOP, SSAFA volunteers and prison staff in the Devon Prison Cluster working together, ex-servicemen and women entering the criminal justice system will be better supported and given a stronger chance of successful rehabilitation.
- We were delighted to be invited to The Langley House Trust’s carol service at The Knole in Cheltenham. Merry Christ… https://t.co/5XLyDRc0vA10:04am, Dec 20, 2018
- We are delighted to have been awarded a further 3-year contract to continue to provide Day Centre provision for the… https://t.co/yuoYzJKnlp9:15am, Dec 18, 2018
- Multi-faith Remembrance Service and tree planting ceremony held at HMP Dartmoor in conjunction with @RECOOP_UK and… https://t.co/Tj3kfPqad69:28am, Nov 27, 2018
- Skills learned by one man at the Lobster Pot (over 50s Day Centre at HMP Leyhill) have proved to be invaluable post… https://t.co/sKWYTbVchB11:17am, Nov 20, 2018
- Social care in prisons in England & Wales-A thematic report/Oct 18 recommends “any prisoner providing social care s… https://t.co/gnEl0BerHJ9:22am, Oct 24, 2018
- Aldo Trust grant helps support prisoners directly via RECOOP https://t.co/bwhiVuGPQQ9:10am, Oct 15, 2018
- RECOOP & @DevonCC nominated for Creative & Innovative Social Work Practice Award in recognition of their invaluable… https://t.co/B39v7N604A9:35am, Oct 01, 2018
- RECOOP wins Innovation Wessex funding to develop' Transition' Resettlement Training course for community delivery https://t.co/lpYxiDZeRz11:21am, Sep 25, 2018
- Rubies at HMP Eastwood Park win numerous @KoestlerTrust awards and selected to exhibit at #ImStillHere Southbank ex… https://t.co/NlyCKiWPPG9:55am, Sep 17, 2018
- Healthy Eating & Living in Prison programme helps address the issues around poor food choices and lack of exercise… https://t.co/qRnkXFAxz812:10pm, Aug 15, 2018