Armed Forces Day
Armed Forces Day is traditionally marked on 24th June by events including parades, military displays and community fetes, taking place across the country. Sailors, Soldiers, Airmen and women, both Regulars and Reservists, Cadets and veterans past and present are being recognised.
Approximately 4% of the population in prison are veterans and convictions primarily involved violence, within a short period following discharge. The majority of cases were drug or alcohol-related.
A considerable number of ex-soldiers, who have served in conflicts, may be suffering the hidden wounds of combat related mental traumas. They may physically return from conflict, but their head may remain in the war zone, resulting in a combat related condition, such as post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD). PTSD is often undiagnosed and can be a trigger for the acts that lead some former armed forces personnel into prison.
SSAFA Prison in Reach offers assistance to ex-servicemen and women serving a custodial sentence and due for release. The service they offer is to assist with clothing, household items and if possible rent and deposit. In some circumstances they can assist with educational/training courses. SSAFA can also offer assistance to families if considered appropriate to do so.
With RECOOP, SSAFA volunteers and prison staff in the Devon Prison Cluster working together, ex-servicemen and women entering the criminal justice system will be better supported and given a stronger chance of successful rehabilitation.
- Robert Buckland QC MP visited the Lobster Pot, at HMP Leyhill & was delighted to learn about RECOOP's excellent wor… https://t.co/lErIrjXsjq9:39am, Jul 05, 2019
- Thank you @alzheimerssoc and Healthcare Dept for the first Dementia Awareness Day at the Lobster Pot giving residen… https://t.co/3aDhsfZNXH11:03am, Jul 02, 2019
- RECOOP awarded @EsmeeFairbairn grant to fund new development work to support even more older service-users across t… https://t.co/VWSeqZTyet8:56am, May 22, 2019
- Thank you @RNIB for visiting the Lobster Pot at HMP Leyhill and delivering a Confidence Building Course which was… https://t.co/nCAlLh6ckv9:37am, Apr 30, 2019
- @Clinks_Tweets Great to have Paul Grainge with us from @RECOOP_UK to speak today. A national charity specialising i… https://t.co/U1VRcLoFgl10:56am, Apr 04, 2019
- We’re pleased to be part of @clinks #flexibilityisvital and hope that momentum continues https://t.co/YqEKSW0p8v11:17am, Apr 01, 2019
- Transition 50+ Resettlement Programme “really provides a focus for the men, some of whom have spent a very long tim… https://t.co/5r9ZKJ9D0n10:05am, Mar 18, 2019
- Just published: 'A Different Sense of Time' – a portfolio of RECOOP’s age-appropriate services to aid prisons find… https://t.co/zGMs8LY5nu11:25am, Feb 19, 2019
- Over 34,000 individuals benefited from RECOOP's 50+ Day Centres in 2018 https://t.co/FR4jwYZkZx10:29am, Feb 06, 2019
- RECOOP’s Distraction Packs address the need for prisoners to “…. access stimulating in-cell activities to help them… https://t.co/axl9pTpqTS9:20am, Jan 23, 2019