Ladies behind bars making a difference
Ladies behind bars in England can and DO make a difference to children and families who have lost their home, country, family, possessions, safety and security.
During one of the Rubies’ sessions (day centre for the over 50s at HMP Eastwood Park established and run by RECOOP), a Ruby expressed her distress and compassion for the refugee children in Greek camps that she had witnessed whilst watching a TV programme.
“If only I could do something” she exclaimed.
As there is no such thing as “we can’t” in the Rubies’ dictionary, a new project was born.
Alma Hageman, RECOOP Project Worker, made contact with one of the Greek Refugee Camps and the Rubies click-clacked away with their knitting needles and crochet hooks.
The first two parcels, sent to refugee children stranded on the Greek island of Chios, 5 miles west of Turkey, left in January 2017 and contained warm baby hats and cardigans. The next two parcels included knitted toys and the 5th, which is almost ready to be despatched, contains more baby cardigans, hats, toys and bags.
Not only is it “needed and loved by the children” (as it said in the thank you letter the Rubies were thrilled to receive) but it gives meaningful activity and enhancement of self-esteem to the Rubies.
Yes, it is possible: ladies behind bars in England can and DO make a difference.
- Transition 50+ Resettlement Programme “really provides a focus for the men, some of whom have spent a very long tim… https://t.co/5r9ZKJ9D0n10:05am, Mar 18, 2019
- Just published: 'A Different Sense of Time' – a portfolio of RECOOP’s age-appropriate services to aid prisons find… https://t.co/zGMs8LY5nu11:25am, Feb 19, 2019
- Over 34,000 individuals benefited from RECOOP's 50+ Day Centres in 2018 https://t.co/FR4jwYZkZx10:29am, Feb 06, 2019
- RECOOP’s Distraction Packs address the need for prisoners to “…. access stimulating in-cell activities to help them… https://t.co/axl9pTpqTS9:20am, Jan 23, 2019
- We were delighted to be invited to The Langley House Trust’s carol service at The Knole in Cheltenham. Merry Christ… https://t.co/5XLyDRc0vA10:04am, Dec 20, 2018
- We are delighted to have been awarded a further 3-year contract to continue to provide Day Centre provision for the… https://t.co/yuoYzJKnlp9:15am, Dec 18, 2018
- Multi-faith Remembrance Service and tree planting ceremony held at HMP Dartmoor in conjunction with @RECOOP_UK and… https://t.co/Tj3kfPqad69:28am, Nov 27, 2018
- Skills learned by one man at the Lobster Pot (over 50s Day Centre at HMP Leyhill) have proved to be invaluable post… https://t.co/sKWYTbVchB11:17am, Nov 20, 2018
- Social care in prisons in England & Wales-A thematic report/Oct 18 recommends “any prisoner providing social care s… https://t.co/gnEl0BerHJ9:22am, Oct 24, 2018
- Aldo Trust grant helps support prisoners directly via RECOOP https://t.co/bwhiVuGPQQ9:10am, Oct 15, 2018