Pilot "Transition 50+ Resettlement Programme" a resounding success
The first pilot of our “Transition 50+ Resettlement Programme” has now been delivered in HMP Lewes with resounding success. All participants were over 60 years old and all reported that their knowledge and confidence levels of each module had increased as a result.
"It covered a lot more than I thought it would and I realise how much I need to rely on others before getting out. All on the course felt empowered, even me! We now know how to organise our worries and concerns into positive actions. As a first timer at my age it was a very daunting prospect, the course helped enormously". Participant - HMP Lewes
Release from Prison can be both a daunting and exciting experience. Our Transition Programme, which has been designed to address the specific resettlement needs of those who are aged over 50, aims to equip older prisoners with the appropriate knowledge and skills to support a positive resettlement experience and to live actively, responsibly and productively post release.
It is delivered over 4 days at a pace that lends itself to the learning and engagement style of older people. It broadly covers the following themes:
- Health & Wellbeing
- Benefits & Personal Budgeting
- Re-establishing links with friends and family
- Accessing Community Services
The programme includes sessions on planning for retirement, independent living skills, technology, building new networks of support, volunteering and disclosure. We also provide a toolkit for managing the triggers of re-offending post release.
A variety of activities, including independent, pairs and group-work, as well as interactive drama and out of class methods are used to complete the programme.
If you would like to register your interest, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
- RECOOP awarded @esmeefairbairn grant to fund new development work to support even more older service-users across t… https://t.co/VWSeqZTyet8:56am, May 22, 2019
- Thank you @RNIB for visiting the Lobster Pot at HMP Leyhill and delivering a Confidence Building Course which was… https://t.co/nCAlLh6ckv9:37am, Apr 30, 2019
- @Clinks_Tweets Great to have Paul Grainge with us from @RECOOP_UK to speak today. A national charity specialising i… https://t.co/U1VRcLoFgl10:56am, Apr 04, 2019
- We’re pleased to be part of @clinks #flexibilityisvital and hope that momentum continues https://t.co/YqEKSW0p8v11:17am, Apr 01, 2019
- Transition 50+ Resettlement Programme “really provides a focus for the men, some of whom have spent a very long tim… https://t.co/5r9ZKJ9D0n10:05am, Mar 18, 2019
- Just published: 'A Different Sense of Time' – a portfolio of RECOOP’s age-appropriate services to aid prisons find… https://t.co/zGMs8LY5nu11:25am, Feb 19, 2019
- Over 34,000 individuals benefited from RECOOP's 50+ Day Centres in 2018 https://t.co/FR4jwYZkZx10:29am, Feb 06, 2019
- RECOOP’s Distraction Packs address the need for prisoners to “…. access stimulating in-cell activities to help them… https://t.co/axl9pTpqTS9:20am, Jan 23, 2019
- We were delighted to be invited to The Langley House Trust’s carol service at The Knole in Cheltenham. Merry Christ… https://t.co/5XLyDRc0vA10:04am, Dec 20, 2018
- We are delighted to have been awarded a further 3-year contract to continue to provide Day Centre provision for the… https://t.co/yuoYzJKnlp9:15am, Dec 18, 2018