Buddy Support Scheme
Primary Care is under increased pressure due to the number of prisoners coming into prison with health and social care needs. Remand prisons, in particular, suffer as the volumes of people passing through can be over 200 a month. With restricted staffing levels in many prisons, this can be exacerbated when prison officers are required to escort prisoners out to hospital appointments.
Working alongside Devon County Council and three prisons in Devon, RECOOP has been delivering The Buddy Support Scheme in HMPs Channings Wood, Dartmoor and Exeter for over three years. The Programme is designed to equip prisoners to support other prisoners with health and social care needs and the day-to-day challenges they face within an often very difficult environment. Selected prisoners are trained in 14 modules, based on the National Care Standards, to support their fellow inmates with the intention that through support, there can be an element of prevention (wherever possible) in any further decline in the individual’s ability or health and social care needs.
As one Prison Officer on a Social Care Wing commented:
“RECOOP is well placed to offer this support owing to their expert knowledge of working with older prisoners and national influence. Buddy Training should be widely publicised to encourage other prisons to take up this good practice.”
For further information please contact: email@example.com
- We were delighted to be invited to The Langley House Trust’s carol service at The Knole in Cheltenham. Merry Christ… https://t.co/5XLyDRc0vA10:04am, Dec 20, 2018
- We are delighted to have been awarded a further 3-year contract to continue to provide Day Centre provision for the… https://t.co/yuoYzJKnlp9:15am, Dec 18, 2018
- Multi-faith Remembrance Service and tree planting ceremony held at HMP Dartmoor in conjunction with @RECOOP_UK and… https://t.co/Tj3kfPqad69:28am, Nov 27, 2018
- Skills learned by one man at the Lobster Pot (over 50s Day Centre at HMP Leyhill) have proved to be invaluable post… https://t.co/sKWYTbVchB11:17am, Nov 20, 2018
- Social care in prisons in England & Wales-A thematic report/Oct 18 recommends “any prisoner providing social care s… https://t.co/gnEl0BerHJ9:22am, Oct 24, 2018
- Aldo Trust grant helps support prisoners directly via RECOOP https://t.co/bwhiVuGPQQ9:10am, Oct 15, 2018
- RECOOP & @DevonCC nominated for Creative & Innovative Social Work Practice Award in recognition of their invaluable… https://t.co/B39v7N604A9:35am, Oct 01, 2018
- RECOOP wins Innovation Wessex funding to develop' Transition' Resettlement Training course for community delivery https://t.co/lpYxiDZeRz11:21am, Sep 25, 2018
- Rubies at HMP Eastwood Park win numerous @KoestlerTrust awards and selected to exhibit at #ImStillHere Southbank ex… https://t.co/NlyCKiWPPG9:55am, Sep 17, 2018
- Healthy Eating & Living in Prison programme helps address the issues around poor food choices and lack of exercise… https://t.co/qRnkXFAxz812:10pm, Aug 15, 2018