The impact of our Day Centres
Like all charities, we collect numerous statistics throughout the year in order to highlight the importance of the service we offer. RECOOP has run Day Centres for the over 50s in six prisons throughout 2017 and in that period:
- 46,640 individual visits have been made;
- by 752 unique users;
- 1,420 prisoner volunteer hours have been worked by 603 prisoners;
- 562 external volunteer hours worked by 246 volunteers.
All groups address the 9 Pathways to re-offending in a variety of ways including group discussions on resettlement, sessions around health & wellbeing, creativity and the importance of volunteering. Outside speakers have included The Prisoners Advice Service, Choice Support, RNIB, the Alzheimer’s Society and local Approved Premises.
Our service-users best describe the effect the RECOOP Day Centres have on them:
“It is a good ‘safe haven’, giving a social base and focus for the over-50s. The range of ideas and interests covered, with frequent visiting speakers, allows all sorts of people to benefit. Having RECOOP staff on hand to give help and advice on so many things is invaluable, especially with regard to the future, housing and other issues.”
“There is an air of excitement and a buzz about the Lobster Pot (Day Centre run by RECOOP at HMP Leyhill) both inside and in the garden and the allotment with raised beds. It’s about association, communication and activities.”
“The group has given me the chance to explore and challenge myself in ways I thought I was incapable of. It has given my prison sentence structure, makes me feel I have more choices in my life when I am released”.
If you would like further information, please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Transition 50+ Resettlement Programme “really provides a focus for the men, some of whom have spent a very long tim… https://t.co/5r9ZKJ9D0n10:05am, Mar 18, 2019
- Just published: 'A Different Sense of Time' – a portfolio of RECOOP’s age-appropriate services to aid prisons find… https://t.co/zGMs8LY5nu11:25am, Feb 19, 2019
- Over 34,000 individuals benefited from RECOOP's 50+ Day Centres in 2018 https://t.co/FR4jwYZkZx10:29am, Feb 06, 2019
- RECOOP’s Distraction Packs address the need for prisoners to “…. access stimulating in-cell activities to help them… https://t.co/axl9pTpqTS9:20am, Jan 23, 2019
- We were delighted to be invited to The Langley House Trust’s carol service at The Knole in Cheltenham. Merry Christ… https://t.co/5XLyDRc0vA10:04am, Dec 20, 2018
- We are delighted to have been awarded a further 3-year contract to continue to provide Day Centre provision for the… https://t.co/yuoYzJKnlp9:15am, Dec 18, 2018
- Multi-faith Remembrance Service and tree planting ceremony held at HMP Dartmoor in conjunction with @RECOOP_UK and… https://t.co/Tj3kfPqad69:28am, Nov 27, 2018
- Skills learned by one man at the Lobster Pot (over 50s Day Centre at HMP Leyhill) have proved to be invaluable post… https://t.co/sKWYTbVchB11:17am, Nov 20, 2018
- Social care in prisons in England & Wales-A thematic report/Oct 18 recommends “any prisoner providing social care s… https://t.co/gnEl0BerHJ9:22am, Oct 24, 2018
- Aldo Trust grant helps support prisoners directly via RECOOP https://t.co/bwhiVuGPQQ9:10am, Oct 15, 2018