Vulnerable Women in the Prison System
Alma Hageman, RECOOP Project Manager at HMP Eastwood Park, recently gave an inspirational public talk at an event organised by Positive Justice Gloucestershire entitled “Vulnerable Women in the Prison System”.
Speaking about the mental health issues, addictions, homelessness, abuse, bereavement and self-harming, Alma praised HMP Eastwood Park for the way in which it tries to help the women within a pressured and struggling prison and Criminal Justice system. Alma shared some of the women’s poems and reflections to emphasise how they felt and the direct impact incarceration has on their lives.
The Rubies, an over 50’s Day Centre run by RECOOP at HMP Eastwood Park, had worked on collages which were displayed, along with a quilt they had previously made and which had won a platinum Koestler Award. Alma also talked about the projects she and the Rubies were involved with: a repair service for other women in the prison, their involvement in knitting clothes and toys for refugee children stranded on a Greek Island and how the peer group has become a circle of mutual help, promoting positive wellbeing.
Chair of PJG and one of the organisers of the event, said:
"Many congratulations Alma on a most inspirational talk. You were wonderful. I thought you did a great job of analysing why the system is so dysfunctional and broken. The way your talk was structured was excellent. The juxtaposition of the poems used to illustrate what you were saying was very powerful and it was great to hear the women's voices threaded through your talk. They were truly the subjects of the event. It was great to finish with all the positive work that comes out of The Rubies group."
- Care UK / HMP Dartmoor and the RECOOP Buddy Support Workers receive HSJ News Patient Safety End of Life Award 2019 https://t.co/tECpiDZsQO11:49am, Jul 18, 2019
- Robert Buckland QC MP visited the Lobster Pot, at HMP Leyhill & was delighted to learn about RECOOP's excellent wor… https://t.co/lErIrjXsjq9:39am, Jul 05, 2019
- Thank you @alzheimerssoc and Healthcare Dept for the first Dementia Awareness Day at the Lobster Pot giving residen… https://t.co/3aDhsfZNXH11:03am, Jul 02, 2019
- RECOOP awarded @EsmeeFairbairn grant to fund new development work to support even more older service-users across t… https://t.co/VWSeqZTyet8:56am, May 22, 2019
- Thank you @RNIB for visiting the Lobster Pot at HMP Leyhill and delivering a Confidence Building Course which was… https://t.co/nCAlLh6ckv9:37am, Apr 30, 2019
- @Clinks_Tweets Great to have Paul Grainge with us from @RECOOP_UK to speak today. A national charity specialising i… https://t.co/U1VRcLoFgl10:56am, Apr 04, 2019
- We’re pleased to be part of @clinks #flexibilityisvital and hope that momentum continues https://t.co/YqEKSW0p8v11:17am, Apr 01, 2019
- Transition 50+ Resettlement Programme “really provides a focus for the men, some of whom have spent a very long tim… https://t.co/5r9ZKJ9D0n10:05am, Mar 18, 2019
- Just published: 'A Different Sense of Time' – a portfolio of RECOOP’s age-appropriate services to aid prisons find… https://t.co/zGMs8LY5nu11:25am, Feb 19, 2019
- Over 34,000 individuals benefited from RECOOP's 50+ Day Centres in 2018 https://t.co/FR4jwYZkZx10:29am, Feb 06, 2019