SSAFA and RECOOP working together for Armed Forces Day
Once again, Armed Forces Day saw Liz Ropschitz, Health and Wellbeing Manager for RECOOP and HMP Dartmoor prison officer Chris Elliott raising the awareness of SSAFA, the charity whose support is available to all ex-services personnel and their families, both in the community and in custody.
In June 2018, SSAFA Devon received the Queens Award for Voluntary Service (QAVS) for relieving need, suffering and distress amongst the Armed Forces, veterans and their families in Devon. QAVS is the highest award given to voluntary groups.
Many people, whilst in the forces will have improved their opportunity for employment in civilian life, but they may have little time to have firm civilian life plans in place before leaving.
When leaving the services, men and women are not just changing employment, they are changing a complete life style. Their home has to be relinquished and the mutual trust and friendships they have with people, in whom they have invested a lot of time and shared experiences with, are no longer their neighbours and constant companions.
Procedural order to the day and the learnt responses to different ranks, giving self-confidence and imposed structure are no longer appropriate and this ‘transitional’ period is often a time of instability and unsettling experiences. It is a time to reflect on times past and a time to look forward to an unsettled, uncertain future.
Convictions, primarily involving violence, are more likely to occur within a short period following discharge.
All veterans in prison may request a meeting with a SSAFA Prison In-reach volunteer. This network of local volunteers and specialist Prison In-reach caseworkers provide advice and information to veterans in custody and their families. They offer practical support, such as getting hold of essential household items. They may also be able to assist with training and educational opportunities and equipment for this, plus support addressing issues such as housing and resettlement as release gets closer. SSAFA cannot make cash grants or provide legal support, but may be able to signpost to the right organisations.
SSAFA’s Prison In-reach service forms an essential part of support for veterans in custody and the specialist volunteers are trained in all aspects of working within the prison context, with a good understanding of both the Criminal Justice and prison systems.
RECOOP, SSAFA volunteers and prison staff in the Devon Prison Cluster continue to work together both in prison and in the community so that ex-servicemen and women entering the criminal justice system will be better supported.
Donations to RECOOP can be made either from our website or www.mydonate.bt.com/charities/recoop
Donations to SSAFA can be made by visiting www.ssafa.org.uk/give
- RECOOP awarded @esmeefairbairn grant to fund new development work to support even more older service-users across t… https://t.co/VWSeqZTyet8:56am, May 22, 2019
- Thank you @RNIB for visiting the Lobster Pot at HMP Leyhill and delivering a Confidence Building Course which was… https://t.co/nCAlLh6ckv9:37am, Apr 30, 2019
- @Clinks_Tweets Great to have Paul Grainge with us from @RECOOP_UK to speak today. A national charity specialising i… https://t.co/U1VRcLoFgl10:56am, Apr 04, 2019
- We’re pleased to be part of @clinks #flexibilityisvital and hope that momentum continues https://t.co/YqEKSW0p8v11:17am, Apr 01, 2019
- Transition 50+ Resettlement Programme “really provides a focus for the men, some of whom have spent a very long tim… https://t.co/5r9ZKJ9D0n10:05am, Mar 18, 2019
- Just published: 'A Different Sense of Time' – a portfolio of RECOOP’s age-appropriate services to aid prisons find… https://t.co/zGMs8LY5nu11:25am, Feb 19, 2019
- Over 34,000 individuals benefited from RECOOP's 50+ Day Centres in 2018 https://t.co/FR4jwYZkZx10:29am, Feb 06, 2019
- RECOOP’s Distraction Packs address the need for prisoners to “…. access stimulating in-cell activities to help them… https://t.co/axl9pTpqTS9:20am, Jan 23, 2019
- We were delighted to be invited to The Langley House Trust’s carol service at The Knole in Cheltenham. Merry Christ… https://t.co/5XLyDRc0vA10:04am, Dec 20, 2018
- We are delighted to have been awarded a further 3-year contract to continue to provide Day Centre provision for the… https://t.co/yuoYzJKnlp9:15am, Dec 18, 2018