Remembrance Day in HMP Dartmoor 2018
RECOOP Devon Buddy manager and a prison officer, along with a SSAFA in-reach volunteer, the prison chaplain and prisoner veterans, organised and contributed to a multi faith Remembrance service and tree planting ceremony at HMP Dartmoor.
Young and old alike united to remember all who had suffered or died in conflict, many having lived experience of combat. RECOOP prisoner Buddies were on hand to assist those with mobility issues to attend both the service and the tree planting ceremony.
RECOOP donated the ceremonial tree, a white stemmed birch, planted in the newly created memorial garden within the prison grounds. The tree, Betula Pendula, is symbolic of new beginnings, new dawns, hope, and is the bringer of promise and light.
An elderly prisoner veteran told RECOOP that he was honoured to have been able to plant one of the poppy crosses, donated by SSAFA, during the ceremony, in memory of a fellow pilot he had known during his service in the RAF.
Another prisoner told RECOOP that he particularly remembered his grandfather who had died in WW1. He had been a tank driver. He said that it was a time to reflect, but especially good to have a tree as a permanent reminder and centre piece for prisoners in future years.
The plaque, also donated by RECOOP simply read: ‘In Remembrance of Those Who Served and Lost Their Lives’.
RECOOP supports all veterans in the Devon prisons, who have health and social care needs. Centred around the ‘whole person’ and their needs, trained Buddies support them to maintain their independence and well-being and signpost them to appropriate services available.
SSAFA Prison In-reach service forms an essential part of support for veterans in custody. Their specialist Prison In-reach volunteers are trained in all aspects of working within the prison context with a good understanding of the Criminal Justice System and the prison system. They are also equipped to help with issues such as housing and resettlement when veterans in custody get closer to their release.
- Care UK / HMP Dartmoor and the RECOOP Buddy Support Workers receive HSJ News Patient Safety End of Life Award 2019 https://t.co/tECpiDZsQO11:49am, Jul 18, 2019
- Robert Buckland QC MP visited the Lobster Pot, at HMP Leyhill & was delighted to learn about RECOOP's excellent wor… https://t.co/lErIrjXsjq9:39am, Jul 05, 2019
- Thank you @alzheimerssoc and Healthcare Dept for the first Dementia Awareness Day at the Lobster Pot giving residen… https://t.co/3aDhsfZNXH11:03am, Jul 02, 2019
- RECOOP awarded @EsmeeFairbairn grant to fund new development work to support even more older service-users across t… https://t.co/VWSeqZTyet8:56am, May 22, 2019
- Thank you @RNIB for visiting the Lobster Pot at HMP Leyhill and delivering a Confidence Building Course which was… https://t.co/nCAlLh6ckv9:37am, Apr 30, 2019
- @Clinks_Tweets Great to have Paul Grainge with us from @RECOOP_UK to speak today. A national charity specialising i… https://t.co/U1VRcLoFgl10:56am, Apr 04, 2019
- We’re pleased to be part of @clinks #flexibilityisvital and hope that momentum continues https://t.co/YqEKSW0p8v11:17am, Apr 01, 2019
- Transition 50+ Resettlement Programme “really provides a focus for the men, some of whom have spent a very long tim… https://t.co/5r9ZKJ9D0n10:05am, Mar 18, 2019
- Just published: 'A Different Sense of Time' – a portfolio of RECOOP’s age-appropriate services to aid prisons find… https://t.co/zGMs8LY5nu11:25am, Feb 19, 2019
- Over 34,000 individuals benefited from RECOOP's 50+ Day Centres in 2018 https://t.co/FR4jwYZkZx10:29am, Feb 06, 2019