Remembrance Day in HMP Dartmoor 2018
RECOOP Devon Buddy manager and a prison officer, along with a SSAFA in-reach volunteer, the prison chaplain and prisoner veterans, organised and contributed to a multi faith Remembrance service and tree planting ceremony at HMP Dartmoor.
Young and old alike united to remember all who had suffered or died in conflict, many having lived experience of combat. RECOOP prisoner Buddies were on hand to assist those with mobility issues to attend both the service and the tree planting ceremony.
RECOOP donated the ceremonial tree, a white stemmed birch, planted in the newly created memorial garden within the prison grounds. The tree, Betula Pendula, is symbolic of new beginnings, new dawns, hope, and is the bringer of promise and light.
An elderly prisoner veteran told RECOOP that he was honoured to have been able to plant one of the poppy crosses, donated by SSAFA, during the ceremony, in memory of a fellow pilot he had known during his service in the RAF.
Another prisoner told RECOOP that he particularly remembered his grandfather who had died in WW1. He had been a tank driver. He said that it was a time to reflect, but especially good to have a tree as a permanent reminder and centre piece for prisoners in future years.
The plaque, also donated by RECOOP simply read: ‘In Remembrance of Those Who Served and Lost Their Lives’.
RECOOP supports all veterans in the Devon prisons, who have health and social care needs. Centred around the ‘whole person’ and their needs, trained Buddies support them to maintain their independence and well-being and signpost them to appropriate services available.
SSAFA Prison In-reach service forms an essential part of support for veterans in custody. Their specialist Prison In-reach volunteers are trained in all aspects of working within the prison context with a good understanding of the Criminal Justice System and the prison system. They are also equipped to help with issues such as housing and resettlement when veterans in custody get closer to their release.
- We were delighted to be invited to The Langley House Trust’s carol service at The Knole in Cheltenham. Merry Christ… https://t.co/5XLyDRc0vA10:04am, Dec 20, 2018
- We are delighted to have been awarded a further 3-year contract to continue to provide Day Centre provision for the… https://t.co/yuoYzJKnlp9:15am, Dec 18, 2018
- Multi-faith Remembrance Service and tree planting ceremony held at HMP Dartmoor in conjunction with @RECOOP_UK and… https://t.co/Tj3kfPqad69:28am, Nov 27, 2018
- Skills learned by one man at the Lobster Pot (over 50s Day Centre at HMP Leyhill) have proved to be invaluable post… https://t.co/sKWYTbVchB11:17am, Nov 20, 2018
- Social care in prisons in England & Wales-A thematic report/Oct 18 recommends “any prisoner providing social care s… https://t.co/gnEl0BerHJ9:22am, Oct 24, 2018
- Aldo Trust grant helps support prisoners directly via RECOOP https://t.co/bwhiVuGPQQ9:10am, Oct 15, 2018
- RECOOP & @DevonCC nominated for Creative & Innovative Social Work Practice Award in recognition of their invaluable… https://t.co/B39v7N604A9:35am, Oct 01, 2018
- RECOOP wins Innovation Wessex funding to develop' Transition' Resettlement Training course for community delivery https://t.co/lpYxiDZeRz11:21am, Sep 25, 2018
- Rubies at HMP Eastwood Park win numerous @KoestlerTrust awards and selected to exhibit at #ImStillHere Southbank ex… https://t.co/NlyCKiWPPG9:55am, Sep 17, 2018
- Healthy Eating & Living in Prison programme helps address the issues around poor food choices and lack of exercise… https://t.co/qRnkXFAxz812:10pm, Aug 15, 2018