RECOOP and the Lobster Pot
Back in June 2009, RECOOP entered into conversations with HMP Leyhill as it recognised the differences required in successfully integrating and rehabilitating older aged offenders and welcomed the additional expertise of an outside organisation such as RECOOP.
In April 2010, RECOOP re-launched a Day Centre for the over 50s. Only through effective partnership can an organisation outside of the Prison Service hope to prove that it can both offer strategic expertise and translate this into practical work on a daily basis. Making sense of what is needed and what can be delivered in a custodial setting, understanding the expectations of prisoners and the prison are all imperative, as is establishing how the work fits with existing and proposed initiatives delivered elsewhere within the establishment.
The best prospect for finding creative solutions is to get a clear sense of the prison’s dynamics. HMP Leyhill provided RECOOP with a committed and progressive input to the planning stages of the project and the Governor also supported practical solutions to allow things to happen, something an outside organisation would find difficult to do when working within a larger organisation. All relevant prison training was given at an early stage. Strategic links to the pathways to reducing re-offending were at the heart of planning from both RECOOP and prison perspectives.
Since then, RECOOP has welcomed a staggering 169,384 men to the Lobster Pot, with an average of 494 unique users a year.
We are therefore delighted to announce RECOOP has been awarded a further 3-year contract to continue to provide this invaluable Day Centre provision for the over 50’s at HMP Leyhill.
Ray Johnson, Acting Governor, said: “We’re delighted to be working with RECOOP for the next three years in our over 50’s service delivery and look forward to further developing the service we offer those in our care”.
For further information, please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Care UK / HMP Dartmoor and the RECOOP Buddy Support Workers receive HSJ News Patient Safety End of Life Award 2019 https://t.co/tECpiDZsQO11:49am, Jul 18, 2019
- Robert Buckland QC MP visited the Lobster Pot, at HMP Leyhill & was delighted to learn about RECOOP's excellent wor… https://t.co/lErIrjXsjq9:39am, Jul 05, 2019
- Thank you @alzheimerssoc and Healthcare Dept for the first Dementia Awareness Day at the Lobster Pot giving residen… https://t.co/3aDhsfZNXH11:03am, Jul 02, 2019
- RECOOP awarded @EsmeeFairbairn grant to fund new development work to support even more older service-users across t… https://t.co/VWSeqZTyet8:56am, May 22, 2019
- Thank you @RNIB for visiting the Lobster Pot at HMP Leyhill and delivering a Confidence Building Course which was… https://t.co/nCAlLh6ckv9:37am, Apr 30, 2019
- @Clinks_Tweets Great to have Paul Grainge with us from @RECOOP_UK to speak today. A national charity specialising i… https://t.co/U1VRcLoFgl10:56am, Apr 04, 2019
- We’re pleased to be part of @clinks #flexibilityisvital and hope that momentum continues https://t.co/YqEKSW0p8v11:17am, Apr 01, 2019
- Transition 50+ Resettlement Programme “really provides a focus for the men, some of whom have spent a very long tim… https://t.co/5r9ZKJ9D0n10:05am, Mar 18, 2019
- Just published: 'A Different Sense of Time' – a portfolio of RECOOP’s age-appropriate services to aid prisons find… https://t.co/zGMs8LY5nu11:25am, Feb 19, 2019
- Over 34,000 individuals benefited from RECOOP's 50+ Day Centres in 2018 https://t.co/FR4jwYZkZx10:29am, Feb 06, 2019