RECOOP and the Lobster Pot
Back in June 2009, RECOOP entered into conversations with HMP Leyhill as it recognised the differences required in successfully integrating and rehabilitating older aged offenders and welcomed the additional expertise of an outside organisation such as RECOOP.
In April 2010, RECOOP re-launched a Day Centre for the over 50s. Only through effective partnership can an organisation outside of the Prison Service hope to prove that it can both offer strategic expertise and translate this into practical work on a daily basis. Making sense of what is needed and what can be delivered in a custodial setting, understanding the expectations of prisoners and the prison are all imperative, as is establishing how the work fits with existing and proposed initiatives delivered elsewhere within the establishment.
The best prospect for finding creative solutions is to get a clear sense of the prison’s dynamics. HMP Leyhill provided RECOOP with a committed and progressive input to the planning stages of the project and the Governor also supported practical solutions to allow things to happen, something an outside organisation would find difficult to do when working within a larger organisation. All relevant prison training was given at an early stage. Strategic links to the pathways to reducing re-offending were at the heart of planning from both RECOOP and prison perspectives.
Since then, RECOOP has welcomed a staggering 169,384 men to the Lobster Pot, with an average of 494 unique users a year.
We are therefore delighted to announce RECOOP has been awarded a further 3-year contract to continue to provide this invaluable Day Centre provision for the over 50’s at HMP Leyhill.
Ray Johnson, Acting Governor, said: “We’re delighted to be working with RECOOP for the next three years in our over 50’s service delivery and look forward to further developing the service we offer those in our care”.
For further information, please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
- We were delighted to be invited to The Langley House Trust’s carol service at The Knole in Cheltenham. Merry Christ… https://t.co/5XLyDRc0vA10:04am, Dec 20, 2018
- We are delighted to have been awarded a further 3-year contract to continue to provide Day Centre provision for the… https://t.co/yuoYzJKnlp9:15am, Dec 18, 2018
- Multi-faith Remembrance Service and tree planting ceremony held at HMP Dartmoor in conjunction with @RECOOP_UK and… https://t.co/Tj3kfPqad69:28am, Nov 27, 2018
- Skills learned by one man at the Lobster Pot (over 50s Day Centre at HMP Leyhill) have proved to be invaluable post… https://t.co/sKWYTbVchB11:17am, Nov 20, 2018
- Social care in prisons in England & Wales-A thematic report/Oct 18 recommends “any prisoner providing social care s… https://t.co/gnEl0BerHJ9:22am, Oct 24, 2018
- Aldo Trust grant helps support prisoners directly via RECOOP https://t.co/bwhiVuGPQQ9:10am, Oct 15, 2018
- RECOOP & @DevonCC nominated for Creative & Innovative Social Work Practice Award in recognition of their invaluable… https://t.co/B39v7N604A9:35am, Oct 01, 2018
- RECOOP wins Innovation Wessex funding to develop' Transition' Resettlement Training course for community delivery https://t.co/lpYxiDZeRz11:21am, Sep 25, 2018
- Rubies at HMP Eastwood Park win numerous @KoestlerTrust awards and selected to exhibit at #ImStillHere Southbank ex… https://t.co/NlyCKiWPPG9:55am, Sep 17, 2018
- Healthy Eating & Living in Prison programme helps address the issues around poor food choices and lack of exercise… https://t.co/qRnkXFAxz812:10pm, Aug 15, 2018