RECOOP's Distraction Packs address the need for prisoners to access stimulating in-cell activity
The concluding paragraph of ‘Life in Prison: living conditions’, a findings paper by HM Inspectorate of Prisons (October 2017), says:
“When confined to their cells it is important that prisoners can access stimulating in-cell activities to help them pass the time constructively. However, sometimes access to such activities is limited: prisoners may not be able to access the library or other education opportunities, or may not have the means to purchase craft materials, and so spend long hours in confined spaces with nothing to occupy them.”
Now in its 3rd year, RECOOP’s Distraction Packs benefit hundreds of such prisoners by giving them access to interesting reading material, quizzes, puzzles, activities and health advice on a monthly basis. Prisons have subscribed to receive an electronic copy of the Pack, entitled "Food for thought", which they then circulate to as wide an audience as they wish within their own establishment. Their distribution is also being rolled out across custody suites at all courts in England & Wales.
A sample issue can be found on our website under “How we can help – Distraction Packs”.
If you would like further information, please contact us: email@example.com
- RECOOP awarded @esmeefairbairn grant to fund new development work to support even more older service-users across t… https://t.co/VWSeqZTyet8:56am, May 22, 2019
- Thank you @RNIB for visiting the Lobster Pot at HMP Leyhill and delivering a Confidence Building Course which was… https://t.co/nCAlLh6ckv9:37am, Apr 30, 2019
- @Clinks_Tweets Great to have Paul Grainge with us from @RECOOP_UK to speak today. A national charity specialising i… https://t.co/U1VRcLoFgl10:56am, Apr 04, 2019
- We’re pleased to be part of @clinks #flexibilityisvital and hope that momentum continues https://t.co/YqEKSW0p8v11:17am, Apr 01, 2019
- Transition 50+ Resettlement Programme “really provides a focus for the men, some of whom have spent a very long tim… https://t.co/5r9ZKJ9D0n10:05am, Mar 18, 2019
- Just published: 'A Different Sense of Time' – a portfolio of RECOOP’s age-appropriate services to aid prisons find… https://t.co/zGMs8LY5nu11:25am, Feb 19, 2019
- Over 34,000 individuals benefited from RECOOP's 50+ Day Centres in 2018 https://t.co/FR4jwYZkZx10:29am, Feb 06, 2019
- RECOOP’s Distraction Packs address the need for prisoners to “…. access stimulating in-cell activities to help them… https://t.co/axl9pTpqTS9:20am, Jan 23, 2019
- We were delighted to be invited to The Langley House Trust’s carol service at The Knole in Cheltenham. Merry Christ… https://t.co/5XLyDRc0vA10:04am, Dec 20, 2018
- We are delighted to have been awarded a further 3-year contract to continue to provide Day Centre provision for the… https://t.co/yuoYzJKnlp9:15am, Dec 18, 2018