Testing the benefits of the Transition Resettlement Programme to AP Residents
Transition is a short Resettlement Programme designed specifically for those who are over the age of 50 and in a custodial setting. The Programme has been delivered in a number of prisons across England on a quarterly or bi-monthly basis.
We’ve recently taken the programme into Approved Premises on a pilot basis to test what the benefits were to Residents.
The Programme includes sessions which focus on the needs of older people on release and include planning for retirement, independent living skills, technology, building new community networks of support, volunteering, benefits, pensions, health, well-being and disclosure. It also provides an action plan / toolkit for managing the triggers for re-offending post release. A variety of activities, including independent, pairs and group-work, as well as an interactive drama and out-of-class methods, are used to aid the differing learning styles.
Feedback from staff at The Crescent (Probation Approved Premises) endorses the value of the Transition programme to its residents:
“I was able to sit in and observe session 1/3 of the RECOOP 50+ Resettlement programme. It was positive to observe a session tailored to a specific and seemingly growing group of men. The nature of the material covered was varied but always relevant to the audience. Tracy, in delivering the programme, was keen to pace the sessions in a manner which would suit the attendees and she was keen to encourage the residents to share experiences and offer their own point of view. This seemed to provide an atmosphere where the residents felt comfortable, not only supporting each other, but also challenging options in a constructive manner. Overall, I was impressed with the material and delivery of the programme”. Paul Grace | Approved Premises PSO
“I found the RECOOP course to be very comprehensive and relevant to our men over 50. It is clear and concise and covers topics that are important to our residents. The materials are very clear and well put together and easy to follow. There are parts for the men to fill in and think about and also a lot of interaction throughout. I would highly recommend the course for all and I even I found parts very useful as I attended two of the days of the course”. Jackaleen Baker | Approved Premises PSO
“This type of programme really provides a focus for the men some of whom have spent a very long time in prison and who have lost track of the world outside. It also seems to fit well with the work NPS does with the men – it links to the Probation Officer’s work and the AP staff who work with the men too – so we thought it was an excellent course and we know that the men did too”. Sarah Megan | Approved Premises Manager
The residents themselves found the Programme to be most beneficial, as one resident commented:
"I now have the knowledge and am more confident. I have always been very positive on resettlement, but now even more so. I’m looking forward now as I’ve got more tools from this course”. Resident, The Crescent AP
If you would like to learn more about Transition, please contact us: firstname.lastname@example.org
- @Clinks_Tweets Great to have Paul Grainge with us from @RECOOP_UK to speak today. A national charity specialising i… https://t.co/U1VRcLoFgl10:56am, Apr 04, 2019
- We’re pleased to be part of @clinks #flexibilityisvital and hope that momentum continues https://t.co/YqEKSW0p8v11:17am, Apr 01, 2019
- Transition 50+ Resettlement Programme “really provides a focus for the men, some of whom have spent a very long tim… https://t.co/5r9ZKJ9D0n10:05am, Mar 18, 2019
- Just published: 'A Different Sense of Time' – a portfolio of RECOOP’s age-appropriate services to aid prisons find… https://t.co/zGMs8LY5nu11:25am, Feb 19, 2019
- Over 34,000 individuals benefited from RECOOP's 50+ Day Centres in 2018 https://t.co/FR4jwYZkZx10:29am, Feb 06, 2019
- RECOOP’s Distraction Packs address the need for prisoners to “…. access stimulating in-cell activities to help them… https://t.co/axl9pTpqTS9:20am, Jan 23, 2019
- We were delighted to be invited to The Langley House Trust’s carol service at The Knole in Cheltenham. Merry Christ… https://t.co/5XLyDRc0vA10:04am, Dec 20, 2018
- We are delighted to have been awarded a further 3-year contract to continue to provide Day Centre provision for the… https://t.co/yuoYzJKnlp9:15am, Dec 18, 2018
- Multi-faith Remembrance Service and tree planting ceremony held at HMP Dartmoor in conjunction with @RECOOP_UK and… https://t.co/Tj3kfPqad69:28am, Nov 27, 2018
- Skills learned by one man at the Lobster Pot (over 50s Day Centre at HMP Leyhill) have proved to be invaluable post… https://t.co/sKWYTbVchB11:17am, Nov 20, 2018