- Position: Project Worker - Eastwod Park
Alma finished her studies in child psychology in Amsterdam before coming to Britain. For many years she worked as co-manager in communities for children/adults with learning difficulties and/or challenging behaviour, after which she worked with people overcoming addictions.
Following training in counselling, bereavement support work and group facilitation, Alma started working for RECOOP as Creative Group Facilitator at HMP Eastwood Park for women. In addition to offering 1:1 sessions with the "Rubies" (the over 50s group at EWP) Alma volunteers for Cruse Bereavement Support and Restorative Justice - all at Eastwood Park - as well as supervising a group of 12 Cruse volunteers. She also supervises one member of staff at EWP plus the Safer Custody Orderlies and is trained in trauma work and addressing self-harm issues.
Her groups in prison have won several Koestler Platinum and Gold Awards and she holds a strong belief that artistic and creative activities are valuable tools for expression and potential healing. Recently she has started a new creative, therapeutic social group for women in the community, taking in women who have mental health issues, addictions, bereavement or who are ex-offenders.
Alma gives public talks and lectures about her work and was awarded a South West Equalities Award, nominated by the Governor at HMP Eastwood Park.
- Transition 50+ Resettlement Programme “really provides a focus for the men, some of whom have spent a very long tim… https://t.co/5r9ZKJ9D0n10:05am, Mar 18, 2019
- Just published: 'A Different Sense of Time' – a portfolio of RECOOP’s age-appropriate services to aid prisons find… https://t.co/zGMs8LY5nu11:25am, Feb 19, 2019
- Over 34,000 individuals benefited from RECOOP's 50+ Day Centres in 2018 https://t.co/FR4jwYZkZx10:29am, Feb 06, 2019
- RECOOP’s Distraction Packs address the need for prisoners to “…. access stimulating in-cell activities to help them… https://t.co/axl9pTpqTS9:20am, Jan 23, 2019
- We were delighted to be invited to The Langley House Trust’s carol service at The Knole in Cheltenham. Merry Christ… https://t.co/5XLyDRc0vA10:04am, Dec 20, 2018
- We are delighted to have been awarded a further 3-year contract to continue to provide Day Centre provision for the… https://t.co/yuoYzJKnlp9:15am, Dec 18, 2018
- Multi-faith Remembrance Service and tree planting ceremony held at HMP Dartmoor in conjunction with @RECOOP_UK and… https://t.co/Tj3kfPqad69:28am, Nov 27, 2018
- Skills learned by one man at the Lobster Pot (over 50s Day Centre at HMP Leyhill) have proved to be invaluable post… https://t.co/sKWYTbVchB11:17am, Nov 20, 2018
- Social care in prisons in England & Wales-A thematic report/Oct 18 recommends “any prisoner providing social care s… https://t.co/gnEl0BerHJ9:22am, Oct 24, 2018
- Aldo Trust grant helps support prisoners directly via RECOOP https://t.co/bwhiVuGPQQ9:10am, Oct 15, 2018