Service Users' Voices
Collaborative poem written by the Rubies
"Here I am at 71:
Suddenly my freedom's gone.
Had my birthday in December –
Not a good one, I remember."
"Here I am at 51:
Suddenly I'm a creative one.
In the group I've learnt some knitting;
On the wing I'd just be sitting."
"Prison makes you tense and nervous;
Making things provides a purpose."
"This is a space that's safe from harm."
"I just like the peace and calm."
"Here we've come from every nation,
Much better for us than Education."
"Me, I like the company
And the real mugs for the tea."
"Rubies sparkle like the sun.
Alma is our Number One."
"Prison blues? - you can shove it:
I'm a Ruby and I love it!"
Written jointly by The Rubies Group
of prisoners aged over 50 at HMP Eastwood Park
with their RECOOP Worker, Alma Hageman
transcribed by Tim Robertson, Older Prisoners Researcher from Clinks
- Care UK / HMP Dartmoor and the RECOOP Buddy Support Workers receive HSJ News Patient Safety End of Life Award 2019 https://t.co/tECpiDZsQO11:49am, Jul 18, 2019
- Robert Buckland QC MP visited the Lobster Pot, at HMP Leyhill & was delighted to learn about RECOOP's excellent wor… https://t.co/lErIrjXsjq9:39am, Jul 05, 2019
- Thank you @alzheimerssoc and Healthcare Dept for the first Dementia Awareness Day at the Lobster Pot giving residen… https://t.co/3aDhsfZNXH11:03am, Jul 02, 2019
- RECOOP awarded @EsmeeFairbairn grant to fund new development work to support even more older service-users across t… https://t.co/VWSeqZTyet8:56am, May 22, 2019
- Thank you @RNIB for visiting the Lobster Pot at HMP Leyhill and delivering a Confidence Building Course which was… https://t.co/nCAlLh6ckv9:37am, Apr 30, 2019
- @Clinks_Tweets Great to have Paul Grainge with us from @RECOOP_UK to speak today. A national charity specialising i… https://t.co/U1VRcLoFgl10:56am, Apr 04, 2019
- We’re pleased to be part of @clinks #flexibilityisvital and hope that momentum continues https://t.co/YqEKSW0p8v11:17am, Apr 01, 2019
- Transition 50+ Resettlement Programme “really provides a focus for the men, some of whom have spent a very long tim… https://t.co/5r9ZKJ9D0n10:05am, Mar 18, 2019
- Just published: 'A Different Sense of Time' – a portfolio of RECOOP’s age-appropriate services to aid prisons find… https://t.co/zGMs8LY5nu11:25am, Feb 19, 2019
- Over 34,000 individuals benefited from RECOOP's 50+ Day Centres in 2018 https://t.co/FR4jwYZkZx10:29am, Feb 06, 2019