Service Users' Voices
Collaborative poem written by the Rubies
"Here I am at 71:
Suddenly my freedom's gone.
Had my birthday in December –
Not a good one, I remember."
"Here I am at 51:
Suddenly I'm a creative one.
In the group I've learnt some knitting;
On the wing I'd just be sitting."
"Prison makes you tense and nervous;
Making things provides a purpose."
"This is a space that's safe from harm."
"I just like the peace and calm."
"Here we've come from every nation,
Much better for us than Education."
"Me, I like the company
And the real mugs for the tea."
"Rubies sparkle like the sun.
Alma is our Number One."
"Prison blues? - you can shove it:
I'm a Ruby and I love it!"
Written jointly by The Rubies Group
of prisoners aged over 50 at HMP Eastwood Park
with their RECOOP Worker, Alma Hageman
transcribed by Tim Robertson, Older Prisoners Researcher from Clinks
- Transition 50+ Resettlement Programme “really provides a focus for the men, some of whom have spent a very long tim… https://t.co/5r9ZKJ9D0n10:05am, Mar 18, 2019
- Just published: 'A Different Sense of Time' – a portfolio of RECOOP’s age-appropriate services to aid prisons find… https://t.co/zGMs8LY5nu11:25am, Feb 19, 2019
- Over 34,000 individuals benefited from RECOOP's 50+ Day Centres in 2018 https://t.co/FR4jwYZkZx10:29am, Feb 06, 2019
- RECOOP’s Distraction Packs address the need for prisoners to “…. access stimulating in-cell activities to help them… https://t.co/axl9pTpqTS9:20am, Jan 23, 2019
- We were delighted to be invited to The Langley House Trust’s carol service at The Knole in Cheltenham. Merry Christ… https://t.co/5XLyDRc0vA10:04am, Dec 20, 2018
- We are delighted to have been awarded a further 3-year contract to continue to provide Day Centre provision for the… https://t.co/yuoYzJKnlp9:15am, Dec 18, 2018
- Multi-faith Remembrance Service and tree planting ceremony held at HMP Dartmoor in conjunction with @RECOOP_UK and… https://t.co/Tj3kfPqad69:28am, Nov 27, 2018
- Skills learned by one man at the Lobster Pot (over 50s Day Centre at HMP Leyhill) have proved to be invaluable post… https://t.co/sKWYTbVchB11:17am, Nov 20, 2018
- Social care in prisons in England & Wales-A thematic report/Oct 18 recommends “any prisoner providing social care s… https://t.co/gnEl0BerHJ9:22am, Oct 24, 2018
- Aldo Trust grant helps support prisoners directly via RECOOP https://t.co/bwhiVuGPQQ9:10am, Oct 15, 2018