Education, Training, Work
RECOOP has arranged speakers for many of the prisons that have extended insight into how to set up businesses on release, volunteer and paid work with a criminal record.
Educational sessions on local and world history, nature and the Arts have been given by a series of speakers, as well as sessions on issues to do with ageing by organisations such as Age UK and Dignity in Care.
Statistics provided by Impact Pathways (July 2015) state that:
After release from custody, offenders tend to have employment levels well below the general population. Two years after release from custody in 2008:
- 15% of offenders were in P45 employment
- 29% of offenders starting a P45 employment spell at some point in the two years following their release from custody
Linked to this, offenders also typically have higher levels of out-of-work benefits receipt than in the general population. Two years after release from custody in 2008:
- 47% of offenders were receiving a DWP out-of-work benefit
- 75% of offenders starting a new claim to an out-of-work benefit at some point in the two years following their release.
This compares to just 12% of the general working-age population (16-64 years) in receipt of an out-of-work benefit at any one time.
Impact Pathways offer practitioners and service users access to organisations providing services under this pathway in the Gloucestershire, Bristol, Avon and Somerset areas.
- Just published: 'A Different Sense of Time' – a portfolio of RECOOP’s age-appropriate services to aid prisons find… https://t.co/zGMs8LY5nu11:25am, Feb 19, 2019
- Over 34,000 individuals benefited from RECOOP's 50+ Day Centres in 2018 https://t.co/FR4jwYZkZx10:29am, Feb 06, 2019
- RECOOP’s Distraction Packs address the need for prisoners to “…. access stimulating in-cell activities to help them… https://t.co/axl9pTpqTS9:20am, Jan 23, 2019
- We were delighted to be invited to The Langley House Trust’s carol service at The Knole in Cheltenham. Merry Christ… https://t.co/5XLyDRc0vA10:04am, Dec 20, 2018
- We are delighted to have been awarded a further 3-year contract to continue to provide Day Centre provision for the… https://t.co/yuoYzJKnlp9:15am, Dec 18, 2018
- Multi-faith Remembrance Service and tree planting ceremony held at HMP Dartmoor in conjunction with @RECOOP_UK and… https://t.co/Tj3kfPqad69:28am, Nov 27, 2018
- Skills learned by one man at the Lobster Pot (over 50s Day Centre at HMP Leyhill) have proved to be invaluable post… https://t.co/sKWYTbVchB11:17am, Nov 20, 2018
- Social care in prisons in England & Wales-A thematic report/Oct 18 recommends “any prisoner providing social care s… https://t.co/gnEl0BerHJ9:22am, Oct 24, 2018
- Aldo Trust grant helps support prisoners directly via RECOOP https://t.co/bwhiVuGPQQ9:10am, Oct 15, 2018
- RECOOP & @DevonCC nominated for Creative & Innovative Social Work Practice Award in recognition of their invaluable… https://t.co/B39v7N604A9:35am, Oct 01, 2018