Help and Advice
If you are a professional working with older offenders and ex-offenders, you may want to sign-up to our members' site, where you can access a range of free resources for working with this client group.
If you need help or advice, the following organisations are available to give free, impartial advice and information:
The Hardman Directory
The Hardman Directory aims to provide prisoners and ex-offenders with accurate, up-to-date information on the money and other resources that are available to those who are doing all they can to rebuild their lives and to contribute in a productive way to their home communities as part of an effective resettlement.
The Prison Reform Trust has an advice and information service. They can provide advice to people in prison, their families, and anyone working with prisoners. They answer queries about all aspects of the prison system. The Trust cannot provide legal advice but they will write to a prison for you if need be. Please note this is not a free phone number. You can also write to them at Prison Reform Trust, Freepost ND 6125 London EC1B 1PN.
T: 020 7251 5070 (NB If you are in prison you will to need to change your pin number to call)
The Offenders' Families Helpline is delivered by the organisation Partners of Prisoners and Families Support Group (POPS) as commissioned by NOMS. POPS is based in the North-West and delivers services to support the families of offenders from the point of arrest through to release and beyond. The helpline provides information and support to anyone supporting an offender through their contact with the Criminal Justice System. Information can also be accessed via our website. There is also a translation and interpreting service available if English is not your first language.
NACRO's Resettlement Advice Service offers advice and help for individuals with a criminal record.
T: 0300 123 1999
UNLOCK Criminal Record Disclosure Calculator is a free online tool provided by UNLOCK, the national association of reformed offenders. The calculator will establish when a criminal conviction becomes "spent" under the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act and therefore no longer needs to be disclosed to employers and insurers, which UNLOCK say helps "remove the discrimination that acts as a barrier to successful reintegration".
Women in Prison advice line is a freephone service offering help and advice to women affected by the Criminal Justice System. Please note the service is only for use by offenders and ex offenders.
T: 020 7359 6674
Revolving Doors is a charity working across England to change systems and improve services for people with multiple problems, including poor mental health, who are in contact with the criminal justice system..
T: 020 7407 0747
Sherrifs & Recorder's Fund - the Fund gives small grants to ex-prisoners and their families in London, to help them stop offending and start a new life.
T: 020 7248 3277
Forward supports people to break the cycle of crime and addiction in order to move forward with their lives. Forward has thousands of examples of former clients who have transformed their lives away from addiction/crime and believes that, with the access to the right support, anyone is capable of transformational change.
T: 020 3752 5560
- RECOOP awarded @esmeefairbairn grant to fund new development work to support even more older service-users across t… https://t.co/VWSeqZTyet8:56am, May 22, 2019
- Thank you @RNIB for visiting the Lobster Pot at HMP Leyhill and delivering a Confidence Building Course which was… https://t.co/nCAlLh6ckv9:37am, Apr 30, 2019
- @Clinks_Tweets Great to have Paul Grainge with us from @RECOOP_UK to speak today. A national charity specialising i… https://t.co/U1VRcLoFgl10:56am, Apr 04, 2019
- We’re pleased to be part of @clinks #flexibilityisvital and hope that momentum continues https://t.co/YqEKSW0p8v11:17am, Apr 01, 2019
- Transition 50+ Resettlement Programme “really provides a focus for the men, some of whom have spent a very long tim… https://t.co/5r9ZKJ9D0n10:05am, Mar 18, 2019
- Just published: 'A Different Sense of Time' – a portfolio of RECOOP’s age-appropriate services to aid prisons find… https://t.co/zGMs8LY5nu11:25am, Feb 19, 2019
- Over 34,000 individuals benefited from RECOOP's 50+ Day Centres in 2018 https://t.co/FR4jwYZkZx10:29am, Feb 06, 2019
- RECOOP’s Distraction Packs address the need for prisoners to “…. access stimulating in-cell activities to help them… https://t.co/axl9pTpqTS9:20am, Jan 23, 2019
- We were delighted to be invited to The Langley House Trust’s carol service at The Knole in Cheltenham. Merry Christ… https://t.co/5XLyDRc0vA10:04am, Dec 20, 2018
- We are delighted to have been awarded a further 3-year contract to continue to provide Day Centre provision for the… https://t.co/yuoYzJKnlp9:15am, Dec 18, 2018