Buddy Support Worker Training
The Care Act 2014 places responsibility on Local Authorities and Prisons to work jointly in order to provide social care support for all prisoners who meet the eligibility criteria. Whilst assessed needs above the national eligibility criteria should be met by the Local Authority, arrangements need to be made to meet the needs below that threshold.
As a result, RECOOP is now delivering a Buddy Support Worker Training Programme which was developed for use in prisons by adapting standards from the National Care Certificate. These are the occupational standards that workers across Health & Social Care services adhere to.
The 14-Module Programme is currently delivered by RECOOP on a full-time basis across the Devon Cluster (HMPs Dartmoor, Channings Wood and Exeter). Other prisons have opted for us to deliver one-off training programmes.
The following quotes highlight the impact this training has on both the Buddy and the prisoners who are benefitting from this scheme:
"I’ve done many jobs in the prison, but being a Buddy is definitely the most rewarding. I can see that I’m making a real difference to a fellow prisoner. Poor bugger, I wouldn’t want to be in his shoes in here. It’s a win-win situation. He gets the support he needs, I get to show that I’m not all bad and that there is still a good side to me”. (Trained Buddy)
“I never want to miss a day’s work and I never felt like that before! This is the best thing to come out of my prison experience. I have turned down a move to a Cat C prison nearer home to stay doing this work and the prison has just granted me a second 6 month hold”. (Trained Buddy)
"The Buddy model is critical to the implementation of new Care Act responsibilities in a prison setting and in reducing the costs associated with deteriorating health and care needs. RECOOP has been instrumental in the success as it has brought extensive experience, expertise and wide ranging links within local prisons and wider communities. Coordinating and delivery of the buddies training and support is pivotal.” (Head of Adult Care Operations & Health)
A leaflet giving further information can be downloaded here.
If you would like to discuss the Buddy Support Training Programme in your prison, please contact: email@example.com
- Care UK / HMP Dartmoor and the RECOOP Buddy Support Workers receive HSJ News Patient Safety End of Life Award 2019 https://t.co/tECpiDZsQO11:49am, Jul 18, 2019
- Robert Buckland QC MP visited the Lobster Pot, at HMP Leyhill & was delighted to learn about RECOOP's excellent wor… https://t.co/lErIrjXsjq9:39am, Jul 05, 2019
- Thank you @alzheimerssoc and Healthcare Dept for the first Dementia Awareness Day at the Lobster Pot giving residen… https://t.co/3aDhsfZNXH11:03am, Jul 02, 2019
- RECOOP awarded @EsmeeFairbairn grant to fund new development work to support even more older service-users across t… https://t.co/VWSeqZTyet8:56am, May 22, 2019
- Thank you @RNIB for visiting the Lobster Pot at HMP Leyhill and delivering a Confidence Building Course which was… https://t.co/nCAlLh6ckv9:37am, Apr 30, 2019
- @Clinks_Tweets Great to have Paul Grainge with us from @RECOOP_UK to speak today. A national charity specialising i… https://t.co/U1VRcLoFgl10:56am, Apr 04, 2019
- We’re pleased to be part of @clinks #flexibilityisvital and hope that momentum continues https://t.co/YqEKSW0p8v11:17am, Apr 01, 2019
- Transition 50+ Resettlement Programme “really provides a focus for the men, some of whom have spent a very long tim… https://t.co/5r9ZKJ9D0n10:05am, Mar 18, 2019
- Just published: 'A Different Sense of Time' – a portfolio of RECOOP’s age-appropriate services to aid prisons find… https://t.co/zGMs8LY5nu11:25am, Feb 19, 2019
- Over 34,000 individuals benefited from RECOOP's 50+ Day Centres in 2018 https://t.co/FR4jwYZkZx10:29am, Feb 06, 2019