RECOOP has managed two projects, directly focussed on the needs of older offenders. Both projects were centrally funded by HMPPS.
The first, in 2014, was a 2-year National Capacity Building Project, the aims of which were to support Prisons, Probation Trusts and other organisations, including Third Sector, to build the range, capacity and skills necessary to meet the needs of older offenders in custody and through the resettlement transition.
During this project we worked with over 60 prisons and Probation Trusts in England & Wales supporting them with our expertise and knowledge with this hard to reach group, providing the resources they needed and, crucially, supporting them in establishing long-term, sustainable and effective partnerships.
The second, in 2016, was a Research Project, which aimed to “assess the need and ability of prisons and approved premises to meet the needs of older offenders”. We worked with four prisons (across a range of categories) and two approved premises.
It became apparent during the life of the project, that there was already some good work being carried out with the older population. Despite the economic challenges faced by the prison estate, there was a definite commitment to improve the provision of services and support to older prisoners. We were able to use our expertise in this area and enhance some of the existing good practice and test out new, zero or low cost solutions to improve regimes to better meet the needs of the growing older population.
We have taken our experience, project development achievements, coupled with best practice from both funded projects and consolidated them into a Consultancy package “Reflecting on Age”.
Full details about our Services can be found by clicking the pdf link below. For further details please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
- February&March saw the launch of the Buddy Project in @hmp_kirkham and HMP Preston! Younger prisoners are trained… https://t.co/r50ecUFqBf11:49am, Mar 30, 2020
- RT @HWymott: These are tough times for all. We’ve set up a mailbox for family members and friends to write to us with questions and comment…11:44am, Mar 27, 2020
- Anyone else have concerns about trying to get the correct information across to elderly relatives or clients about… https://t.co/sNKbAHbvxj11:33am, Mar 26, 2020
- 👍 https://t.co/wHIXdFJGtV11:28am, Mar 26, 2020
- January saw the launch of the Buddy Project in @HWymott where younger prisoners support older and vulnerable priso… https://t.co/NBR8C1xqDN11:17am, Mar 26, 2020
- RT @PFHelpline: @Clinks_Tweets @prisonadvice We’re also available for prisoners’ families from 9am - 8pm Monday to Friday and from 10am - 3…10:19am, Mar 26, 2020
- Keep your mind active and a daily routine in place where possible #Recoop #supportforall https://t.co/sFw2L8h5uV10:18am, Mar 26, 2020
- At Recoop we offer Distraction Packs for the older and main population. They are extremely popular in our cluster p… https://t.co/Ux5BwTYuEi10:15am, Mar 26, 2020
- RT @PORSCH_Network: BBC News - Coranavirus: Emergency plan for prisons in England and Wales https://t.co/dkctHsgaNg11:26am, Mar 25, 2020
- @HWymott I hope some of these are our Buddies! :) Well done Wymott9:51am, Mar 25, 2020