For delivery in both prisons and Approved Premises
Release from prison can be both a daunting and exciting experience. RECOOP’s Transition Programme, designed to address the specific resettlement needs of those aged over 50, aims to equip older prisoners with the appropriate knowledge and skills to support a positive resettlement experience and to live responsibly and productively post release.
A number of prisons have already purchased the programme to support the needs of their older population on a quarterly or bi-monthly basis and because of its success in a custodial environment, we’ve broadened its reach and have adapted and piloted the programme in Approved Premises, with extremely positive feedback from both residents and staff.
‘Transition’ is an affordable short programme, delivered at a pace that lends itself to the learning and engagement style of older people and broadly covers the following themes:
- Health & Wellbeing
- Diet & Nutrition
- Benefits & Personal Budgeting
- Re-establishing links with friends and family
- Accessing Community Services
We are continually adding sessions to the programme based on learner feedback. The most recent additions are Bereavement and the Benefits of Making a Will and a new session on Personal Hygiene is currently being developed.
The ideal participant profile is:
- Approaching retirement, perhaps looking for voluntary work rather than actively seeking employment;
- Moving to a new area;
- Have health or social care needs;
- Are longer sentenced, so more likely to be institutionalised;
- Living independently, perhaps for the first time ever;
- Anxious about resettlement.
For further information, please contact us or download our guides below.
To find out more about Recoop and how we help professionals working with older people with convictions, please contact us.